What are you doing during the shut down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tritonal

Reaction score
This isn't a debate thread on budget or anything to that effect. No arguments on which side is right or wrong.

As a government employee I find myself temporarily without a job today. I still have to report in to receive further instructions at my normal time but fully plan on being at my favorite local Micro Brewery by noonish enjoying my favorite beer and a veggie burger!

I may even go and pick up supplies from my LHBS for my next batch, a cherry tripel. Not sure on the recipe yet though.

Any who as said earlier this isn't for flame wars or party bashing. Let us know what you plan on doing with these added days off :tank:

I am lucky enough to be an exempted employe -- I get to continue working.
The people in charge of getting us paid, however, are all furloughed.

I do farmers markets in VA in areas that are heavily influenced by all branches of the government (military).

Looks like I can expect no money for the remainder of this year. People who work for the military do not go shopping when they don't get paid. Poor bastards are risking it all for God and country and we can't get our **** together enough to give them a pay check.... Oh, but keep fighting!

It's pathetic.

My "unplanned" time off will be spent transfering an IPA and Belgian IPA, a SMASH Pale, Blackberry Cider and ofcourse drinking more Buzzbomb Brown Ale and McQuaker Oatmeal Stout! If it goes on more than a few days then I'll move up a brew session. Already have the ingredients so no dent in the wallet..

Got pushed back to a 32 hr work week this week. So hoping to brew Friday. Planning a robust porter and a single hop (junga) apa. May be fouloughed next week though. Hoping it doesn't go on too long as is could sink our small employee owned businesses. Though it seems we can weather a few weeks, I think.

I am at work. Contractor, prefunded at least for a while. I wouldn't mind a furlough as I really could use the time for making upgrades to the rental portion of the house/planning out a walk-in cooler/fermentation room for the garage. I would even take unpaid leave.

This isn't a debate thread on budget or anything to that effect. No arguments on which side is right or wrong.

As a government employee I find myself temporarily without a job today. I still have to report in to receive further instructions at my normal time but fully plan on being at my favorite local Micro Brewery by noonish enjoying my favorite beer and a veggie burger!

I may even go and pick up supplies from my LHBS for my next batch, a cherry tripel. Not sure on the recipe yet though.

Any who as said earlier this isn't for flame wars or party bashing. Let us know what you plan on doing with these added days off :tank:

Same thing I do every day; no change for me.
Regards, GF.

I work for local gov, so at least until the reserve money runs out I'm still working. If I'm furloughed, I don't have the savings to do much besides bottling and watch TV.

I am lucky enough to be an exempted employe -- I get to continue working.
The people in charge of getting us paid, however, are all furloughed.

Same here. Deemed exempted for the protection of life and Property. ...but who knows if/when I will get paid for the work.

Not filling out 10 "no bid" forms and sending them into various government agencies seeking a bid on paper towels and paper clips. I'm not in the paper towel or paper clip business, but do manage to get bid requests for them on a pretty regular basis.

PS: the above is a slight exaggeration.......

If I was a Federal employee I would have more time for brewing.

Although I sympathize with the people whose paycheck will be smaller.

Other than that, it does not affect me. I planned to discuss stuff with the IRS but they are on furlough. I get a short reprieve.

Thought about it. I am guessing furloughed Fed employees will have more sex. This is a reasonable, expected reaction to stress. Like the NYC blackout.

I wonder if there will be a Furlough Boom in 9 months?

No change as of now. My October drill weekend got pushed to the end of the month, with the possibility of it being cancelled if the shutdown lasts until then.

No change yet in job status. Major customer is defense contractor and have seen significantly less RFQ coming in. Hoping this is over SOON so job isn't effected.

Back