Need a house ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ticebain

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been brewing for just under a year now and I want to assemble recipes that I "just always have on hand". And the. I can always do the fun experimental stuff whenever I want. I just want to have a couple house beers.
I brew allgrain all the time
I have a wheat so far because we drink a lot of wheat. But I would like to have a good session ale

The wife is not a big fan of really hop forward beers so it needs to be maybe more of a thin German or English ale. I like reds but to appease the wife I need to not make a red too hoppy. We both love German beer (if we could do a good alt without lagering it would be awesome) but don't have a lagering cooler so that might be hard except in the dead of winter as we don't really have space to get or make one.

Last requirement would be simplicity. Grain bill is no problem. I have a huge lhbs but I would love for it to be a simple single infusion. I can make a batch of wheat in about 4.5 hours (including a 75 min mash) and would love to be able to do the se for an ale

I'm just looking for suggestions of recipes you guys have for your house ale that would meet the above criteria

I've been making a lot of Da Yoopers Pale Ale, it's in the recipe forum, good stuff.

Going to try bier munchers cetennial blonde this weekend as an even more session able option for guests, seems to be very popular.

Cheers!

You can make an altbier without lagering, so no problem there.

I have a few house recipes, but I mix up the rest. I have an house oatmeal stout, a pale ale (mentioned above), a hoppy amber, and an IPA. But I LOVE IPAs and hoppy beers, and that's 75% or so of what I keep on hand.

Most recipes can be done with a 60 minute single infusion mash, so you can do just about anything you want (except for lagers if you're not set up to ferment at 50 degrees).

That yoopers looks tasty for me but I think too hoppy for the lady. My wheat has an og of 1056 and I use .75 cascade and .5 hallertau at 60 and .5 hallertau at 15. And that's it. Obviously a wheat will have a bit less wheat than an ale but the wife rarely goes for anything called pale ale or ipa

Yooper, the issue I have I have not seen an alt recipe yet alts that didn't need to ferment and store at pretty cool temps. 50's at the highest for storage. I want to be able to make my summer batch in like mid to late march. With my setup I just can't keep it cool long enough to do a cool storage setup

I cant really brew in high summer so i stock up in the spring and start brewing in mid august again. And i feel the summer beers really need to be in bottles and conditioned by about June 1

What do you suggest for fermentation and initial storage on an alt?

That yoopers looks tasty for me but I think too hoppy for the lady. My wheat has an og of 1056 and I use .75 cascade and .5 hallertau at 60 and .5 hallertau at 15. And that's it. Obviously a wheat will have a bit less wheat than an ale but the wife rarely goes for anything called pale ale or ipa

A wheat beer IS an ale. It's not a lager. You are talking about wheat ales here.

If you don't want to make a pale ale or IPA, there are SO many ales. Wheat beers are but a small part of the ale family. You can do a Scottish ale if you like malty and sort of sweet beers, German ales (like hefeweizen if you like them), Belgian ales, cream ales, etc.

Yooper, the issue I have I have not seen an alt recipe yet alts that didn't need to ferment and store at pretty cool temps. 50's at the highest for storage. I want to be able to make my summer batch in like mid to late march. With my setup I just can't keep it cool long enough to do a cool storage setup

I cant really brew in high summer so i stock up in the spring and start brewing in mid august again. And i feel the summer beers really need to be in bottles and conditioned by about June 1

What do you suggest for fermentation and initial storage on an alt?

You can store alts in the fridge, just as you do other beers. I don't know why it should be in the 50s- I've never heard that before.

Yooper,

Spotted my mistake that confused you in my first quote "obviously a wheat will have less wheat". I meant hops. I do know its an ale. I'm just looking for something just a easy, and cheap, to make for everyone to enjoy

Currently a batch of my wheat costs me about 18 bucks when I use recycled yeast

On storing alts in the fridge, can't. I have a very small fridge and a family so there's only space in there for a few beers at a time. We keep about 6 in there and pretty much have a pull one and replace it with a warm one policy so there are always 6 frosties.
So storing alts will be in the bottles downstairs in the basement. In the summer time the basement can get near 80 in the daytime because I have no ac

Saisons make for good house brews. A fairly wide abv range and simple ingredients as well as the ability to ferment high or low make it my house brew

My wife insists we always have brown ale in the house. I took the recipe from midwest hex-nut brown ale kit. She loves it because it's not "heavy" like a porter and not "hoppy" like most amber/pale ale recipes end up.

9 # two-row
8 oz crystal 40
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz Carabrown (I think any brown malt will do)

1 oz fuggles 60 min
1/2 oz willamette 30 min
1/2 oz willamette 5 min

safale us-05

I mash in the low 150s to get it to finish at 1.010-1.012

I make a beer that might be close to what you are looking for.

7.5 lbs. Pilsner Malt
1 lb. Munich malt
.4 oz Citra at 60 min.
.3 oz Citra at 20 min.
.3 oz Citra at 5 min.
US-05 (or the White Labs or Wyeast equivalent)

I mash at 150 and then ferment mid-60s. It ends up as somewhere between a blonde, pale ale, and a bit of kolsch (from the pilsner malt). Quite tasty, very sessionable, and not hoppy.

Latest posts

Back