Question About my Aerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amscheip

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a about to be 3rd time brewer and I've somehow misplaced the cap that goes inside the airlock. Is this necessary for brewing?

We are going to need more info to answer your question. What kind of aerator do you have, like an O2 rig? I always just pour my chilled wort back and forth between two sanitized kettles, others rock their carboy to cause lots of splashing.

I'm sorry, it's not an aerator but instead the airlock. I don't know what type it is other than it came with the Northern Brewery 1 gallon kit.

Does it come apart in three pieces? If it does that's the kind I use. As long as you have the body and the floater you can improvise with a loose piece of sanitized aluminum foil. Make sure to fill the airlock with sanitizer, or like I do some cheap vodka in case of suck back.

O.K. so I am still learning the vocabulary and yes it does come apart in three parts. After your description I realize it is the floater that I am missing, but since this is just a one gallon batch I think I'll try and rig up foil as the floater and if it doesn't work it wont be a terribly expensive mistake (the recipe being relatively cheap).

Find a lid off a spray bottle. Or if you have ever broken a hydrometer, you should have a spare tube you can make a new one from.

Run to your LHBS, if you have one close by, and just buy a new airlock. They're super cheap. The "S" type air locks at my LHBS are like a dollar and the 3 piece ones are less than $2, don't recall how much exactly.

Airlocks aren't necessary. They mostly are there to keep bugs out when the ferment is getting started. When your brew is fermenting actively, there is too much CO2 going out for much to get in. Put your airlock on, put the cap on it because that will keep insects out, and when you get a chance, buy a new airlock.

One of my three piece airlocks that is being used on a room temperature ferment has two fruit flies steeping in the vodka. I would say they can get through the holes in the top. Maybe you could rubberband a piece of cloth or paper towel over the top if you want to run without the lock part.

Assuming you have 3/8ths tubing for a siphon or draining or something, just take the cap off and stick the 3/8ths tubing over the shaft of the airlock inside. Then stick the other end in some sanitized water and you have a blowoff tube.

Like this
Ailockbo1.jpg

Assuming you have 3/8ths tubing for a siphon or draining or something, just take the cap off and stick the 3/8ths tubing over the shaft of the airlock inside. Then stick the other end in some sanitized water and you have a blowoff tube.

Like this
Ailockbo1.jpg

You should have one of these and start each brew on it anyway. There are way too many "I had an explosive fermentation and now I have krausen all over my ceiling, floor, walls and grandma". It's simple insurance and has no negative impact.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up doing a blow off tube and so far so good

Yeah my first brew ended up all over my closet walls and ceiling so from now on I'll always start with a blow off tube

Latest posts

Back