Carbing A Very Dry Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have a Saison that has been in the primary about 2 months and yesterday I took a gravity sample for the first time. It read 1.003. I used WLP568. I plan on bottling the beer as I don't drink Saison's that often and I want to enter it in a Competition. I normally would prime with about a 1/2 cup of priming sugar and bottle, but I am worried it might not carb up enough for style. I have had some problems carbing up some Afelwien that ended very dry.

So I wonder how much priming sugar to use and do I need to add some more yeast before bottling?

After 2 months you should be fine in terms of yeast.

Instead of measuring your priming sugar by volume, you should try measuring it by weight. A lot of us like to use priming calculators that give a specific amount of priming sugar to add to try and hit a specific carbonation level. With a saison, I'd go with 3 volumes, which is as high as regular beer bottles will safely hold.

Back