Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 AM   #2611
idrinkstuffnthings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi, I'm just getting together the final equipment for my first AG brew. I think this one will be it. Now if anyone can help me on this question I'd appreciate it. I've watched a handful of videos but still not quite sure. If I were to batch sparge this recipe, how much water would I mash for the first 60 mins. Then do I add the sparge water at same 60 mins and temp? Or does all the water mash at the same time? This sparge business has for the better of me.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #2612
HBrew71
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings View Post
Hi, I'm just getting together the final equipment for my first AG brew. I think this one will be it. Now if anyone can help me on this question I'd appreciate it. I've watched a handful of videos but still not quite sure. If I were to batch sparge this recipe, how much water would I mash for the first 60 mins. Then do I add the sparge water at same 60 mins and temp? Or does all the water mash at the same time? This sparge business has for the better of me.
Assuming 5 gal batch, about 11 quarts of water to mash with -- 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. Collect the wort after an hour of mashing. Depending on how much you collect (assume x gal), thinking you will need to have 6.5 gal of water to boil, add (6.5 - x) gal of water. Stir, wait about 15 minutes, collect. Makes sense?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #2613
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ya that's just what I was lookin for. Thanks a bunch

Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #2614
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I'm doing this tomorrow. The only change I'm making is at the 20 min boil, i'm bumping up cascade to 0.5 oz, to add a little more IBU. This will be my FIRST All Grain with my new 5G mash tun.
Just made it today, gravity was a little higher, 1044 PB, 1052 starting gravity.

For my FIRST All Grain(did it once before biab), in my 5 Gallon mash tun, it went decent today. My mash in called for 2.8 gallon, batch sparge called for 4.2 gallons. I could only get about 3.8 gallons in my mash ton for sparge. Next time, I'm going to up the water to about 3.25 gallons, and then do about the same for batch sparge, see if that works better.

It seems my efficiency was 82.07 according to Brewtarget that I use. Not sure why it was so high. I'll check this in about 8 - 10 days to see how it looks, and then rack it to a carboy for another week.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #2615
wizang
Recipes 

Looking at the extract recipe at the beginning of this thread by OP, wouldn't a closer extract version have more similar specialty grains to the AG? Would it be bad to add the vienna and crystal malt and scale back the DME a bit?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #2616
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Vienna needs to be mashed.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #2617
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
I recommend getting beersmith...try the 2 week trial, it's an awesome program, does all the math for you. It's the best $20 I've spent yet, it does all my record keeping and my calculations. I think it's a must for any AG brewer.
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #2618
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

I hate to pile onto this thread, but I just carbonated a 5 gallon batch in the keg Sunday night, and couldn't help but try it tonight. It's a very nice drinkable beer that should appeal to most. I was able to sneak a few sips while transferring to the secondary for crash cooling and it was nice then, but even better now. There is no way this will be around much past it's month birthday on Feb 8th.

For the record, brewed AG batch according to instructions, threw into primary for 15 days at 70F, transferred to secondary and crash cooled at 37F. After 3 days, added gelatin, continued in secondary for 4 more days. Transferred to keg, force carbonated at 30 psi for 24 hrs, purged and adjusted back to 12 psi. Ver impressed by the clarity, color, and taste of this simple brew. Thanks for the recipe, look forward to making again.

CG

Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #2619
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
I recommend getting beersmith...try the 2 week trial, it's an awesome program, does all the math for you. It's the best $20 I've spent yet, it does all my record keeping and my calculations. I think it's a must for any AG brewer.
I used the beersmith trial and it was good. Currently I'm using brewtarget, since it's free.

Mine called for 2.831 gallons of strike/mash water, then 4.189 gallons to batch sparge with. Next time I'm going to do 3.5 gallons and 3.5 gallons and see if that works better. The 4.189 gallons didn't all fit into my mash ton to batch sparge with.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #2620
carlk47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm moving over to Partial mash from being an extract brewer and I think I may give this a shot as my first 2.5 gal AG batch(have a 2.5 gal keg that's just sitting there empty and needs to be filled!). Can't wait to get everything ordered and get this one brewing!