Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall) - Page 227 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #2261
Slyko
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Roseville, CA
Posts: 172
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


I used this recipe as a base when adding raspberry. It turned out great! I've brewed this baby 5 times now!

Simply tweaked the original yeast to the Wyeast 1056 & added 40 oz. of whole raspberries! It came out very pink with a subtle taste of the fruit. Nothing overpowering like a fruit extract. Very satisfying. Very refreshing!

I have the Orange Blond in line next.

BM for President x3!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #2262
thorbatron
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6

Going to brew ten gallons of this beer Saturday and it will be my first all grain attempt, but I have a couple of questions about what beer smith is telling me to do. I have a boil volume of 13.2 gallons with a mash of 21.56 qts. at 167.9 F and a 2 step batch sparge of 3.4 gal and 6.72 gallons ill be using a 70qt MLT. Contrary to what beer smith is telling me to do ive read that it's better to have two equal amounts between the mash and sparge water, so I'm just trying to verify which is the better method for my first batch sparge. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #2263
Fordzilla
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Rochester, NY
Posts: 438
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


I am new to all grain brewing, but a mash temp of 168 seems far too high.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #2264
floydk
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 7


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
I am new to all grain brewing, but a mash temp of 168 seems far too high.
I think that's the strike water temp, that will then level off to the 150 mark when combined with the amount of grain that he's using.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #2265
thorbatron
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6

Ha, still getting used to proper terms and what not, but yes I meant strike temp rather than mash temp.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #2266
terrapinj
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,416
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbatron View Post
Going to brew ten gallons of this beer Saturday and it will be my first all grain attempt, but I have a couple of questions about what beer smith is telling me to do. I have a boil volume of 13.2 gallons with a mash of 21.56 qts. at 167.9 F and a 2 step batch sparge of 3.4 gal and 6.72 gallons ill be using a 70qt MLT. Contrary to what beer smith is telling me to do ive read that it's better to have two equal amounts between the mash and sparge water, so I'm just trying to verify which is the better method for my first batch sparge. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.
the sparge volume is based on the amount of water you need to get you to your preboil volume after you collect your 1st runnings. most people split the batch sparge into two equal volumes when they double batch sparge but determine the strike volume based on their desired water:grain ratio usually in the range of 1-2qts of water per pound of grain. 1.5qts/lb is a good starting point

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #2267
TrubDog
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Cle Elum, WA
Posts: 392
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts


My first keg of CB just kicked, so I guess I better plan for another (Mmmmmmm it sure was good!).

Why is it the last glass always seems the best?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #2268
jmd1971
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Weymouth, MA
Posts: 134
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I've totally switched to having session stuff on tap. After having a 6.5% the saison on tap, I found myself yearning for something like the CB. All hail the CB!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #2269
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,394
Liked 784 Times on 434 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1971 View Post
I've totally switched to having session stuff on tap. After having a 6.5% the saison on tap, I found myself yearning for something like the CB. All hail the CB!
Here, here!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #2270
floydk
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 7


I wish time would go faster, I'm anxious to try this beer! I'll do a gravity check tomorrow (6 days post brew), and we'll see where we're at. BierMuncher, what's your opinion on secondary fermentation with this beer? Necessary or no?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finalizing my first all-grain-Centennial Blonde Q2XL All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-14-2016 03:50 PM
Houston- All Grain/Hops for Centennial Blonde jetlink1983 For Sale 0 12-09-2010 06:48 PM
Brewed First All Grain - Centennial Blonde - High Gravity just curious why Jewrican All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-25-2009 02:03 PM
First All Grain - Centennial Blonde Questions BrewinHog All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 12-11-2008 07:17 PM
Any downside to doing 2-3 gall. boils in 8 gall. kettle? Boston Brewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-30-2007 04:18 PM


Forum Jump