About to take the plunge and looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j33p4x4

Reaction score
I'm looking for some guidance from some veteran e-brewers. I've been playing with the idea of turning my propane BIAB setup into an electric setup and now I'm toiling between a single-element 220V system and a two element 110V setup. I want to use a PID to control mash temps and my primary concern is cost... well, no the correct answer is safety, but I'm really watching the cost :D.

From the systems and plans that I've seen, the 220V version are more expensive because of the GFCI issues and then the recommended contactor instead of being able to use a switch on the element to ensure that it isn't getting power. The advantage is that one can use higher wattage elements and get faster heating-times and also brew bigger batches.

It seems to me that although using two 110-elements one has more holes in their kettle, and the need for two separate circuits, the 110 is less complex and much less costly. And since I'm only doing 5-gallon batches, the 110 systems should cover the job.

I'm looking to make a setup very similar to Disintegr8or's (110V eBIAB kettle and PID controller). I will be brewing in my garage close to the breaker box and intend to install a 40-50AMP 220V breaker and split that into my two 110 lines. I'll run one element full-on/full-off with a switch and then have a PID to control the second element.

Again, I'm looking at saving money more than being able to instantly bring my water to strike temp and then boil. I'm struggling with finding the advantage of the extra cost to have a 220V system instead of a 110V. Anyone out there who has upgraded from a 110V to 220 have any opinions? Or even those with one system or another, what do you think are the benefits of one over the other?

I understand this is a fairly subjective question, so some of the responses will likely follow in step, but like I said, I'm trying to figure out which way to go; either way will be exciting :)

Well, for only 5 gallon batches, the simplest approach is to use one 2000 w element on a 20 amp gfci and manually control it...

Since you mention cost a few times, I suggest you start there and build forward depending on desire and budget.
Cheers!

That sounds like a good start. I'm probably going to do two elements so that I can cut propane out completely; I don't think one 2K element could bring it to boil. But this way, I can test the benefits without sinking a lot of money into a PID and everything else. I think I can toss together some switches, GFCIs, and a cheap plastic box and easily upgrade if I want to in the future. Thanks for the nudge to simple instead of saying to jump into the deep end of the pool! :)

Back