Reeeeal quickie on Saskatoon (service) berry melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reet

Reaction score
Adding fruits to primary vs secondary? The berries aren't an enormous flavour the way that raspberries or blueberries are... does yeast have the tendency to decimate the subtleties of berries such as these? Thanks!

Some will say that yeasts like k1v-1116 are more likely to keep the subtlety, whereas something like d47 might blow the fruit straight outta the airlock... my suggestion is (if you have a decent supply of berries) add to both primary and secondary. Or if you can, make 3 test batches: primary, secondary, both. Make sure to age them properly and that will give you a great idea about how a specific yeast handles fruit.

Temperature control may help your cause as well, after proof of activity maybe adjust the temp to 62-65 F until the 2/3 sugar break then let it finish out at 70 or whatever the ambient may be

Reviving this old thread. How did your beer turn out with the berries? What kind of flavors did they impart? How much did you use per gallon?

I have a tree in my back yard that gives a good yield. Thinking about souring a Belgian dark quad and aging on oak and the berries.

Back