Rye Barleywine Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a Rye-based Barleywine, that emphasizes the spicy/pepperiness of the Rye. I'd like it to be a deep ruby/purple color, but not brown or amber, if possible. I've seen beers with this color, but I'm not quite sure how to achieve it. The hops are on the earthy/spicy end to compliment the rye (there's also a theme.) Here's what I have so far:

Batch size: 5.25 gallons
Boil time: 120 minutes
OG: 1.102
FG: 1.018
IBU: 69
SRM: 13
Mash Temp: 149 degrees

Fermentables:
10 lb Maris Otter
10 lb Rye Malt
4 oz Crystal 40
4 oz Chocolate Rye
1 lb Clear Candi Sugar

Hops:
Progress - 1 oz First Wort Hop
Pilgrim - 1 oz 60 minutes
Progress - 1 oz 15 minutes
Pilgrim - 1 oz 15 minutes
Progress - 2 oz Dry Hop
Pilgrim - 2 oz Dry Hop

Yeast: White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast

My first question would be whether to use Maris Otter or 2-Row. I really want the rye to shine through, and I also wonder if I should use a higher ratio of rye to MO/2-Row rather than 50/50.

Next, I'd like this to be a nice ruby/purple color, but I'm not sure if I can achieve that only from the Crystal 40 and Chocolate Rye. If anyone has input on how to get that color, let me know.

Finally, the yeast. The only reason I choose the WLP099 is for its attenuation. In my experience, it tends to be neutral at best, or produce a slight amount of diacetyl. If there are any other recommendations on well attenuating yeast, I'm open. I tend to enjoy the fruity esters, and I think that could add some nice complexity, but I don't want to take away from the rye.

I use 25% in my rye ipa and I've thought about more, but I really like rye. If you're a rye nut, sure, you could try 50% but that's higher than most go. Maybe check out some other recipes to see what percent other people go with?

Rye can cause sparge issues because they have no husk, they can turn into sludge in the tun. You definitely want sine hulls. At least a pound, maybe a little more considering the volume you're talking about.

Hmm, so it looks like I've gone about this bass akwards. I'm going to do more research and come back with better recipe.

Back