Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I have 7 oz. of citra, for a belgian pale ale or IPA

Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully View Post
You are right, table sugar is a lot cheaper than honey. In fact, I probably wouldn't use so much honey if my dad were not a bee keeper and hadn't given me like 20 pounds of it.

But, in my experience, honey is much cleaner than table sugar. By "cleaner," I mean that honey tends to just ferment completely out, boosting gravity and drying out the beer, with no ill effects to beer flavor, whereas (at least in my experience) table sugar tends to impart a harsh, cidery flavor to the beer. This could have something to do with the fact that honey is mainly fructose and glucose, whereas table sugar is essentially pure sucrose. But I am no scientist, so I could be wrong (it has happened before).
One should use whatever they feel produces the best beer.

My taste buds must be shot, because I have never had a cidery taste in any of my beers even big Belgians that can have up to 25% sugar.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #12
Paully
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post

My taste buds must be shot, because I have never had a cidery taste in any of my beers even big Belgians that can have up to 25% sugar.
Apparently, table sugar (cane/beet sugar) is known to impart a cider-like flavor: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...table_adjuncts

But, if you have had good results with it, keep using it! I will likely keep using honey, since I have had such great results.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Calder
Recipes 

I wouldn't take that as a knowledgeable resource. Light brown sugar is basically colored white sugar, and it doesn't say that causes it.

Yes, it was blamed for cider like flavors in the past when it was used in large quantities with poor yeast by homebrewers. Probably fermented hot with low pitching rates resulting in high levels of acetaldehyde, and then with the procedures of the past, was removed from the yeast too early so it didn't have a chance to clean up the apple flavors.

With today's yeasts and knowledge of correct fermentation temperatures it is not a problem. Commercial Belgians use it in large quantities, many British brewers use it as an adjunct, and it often used in wine to adjust the OG to a consistent level.

If Commercial brewers can use it, I'm more than happy to use it.

If you go search the forum, I think you will find the cider myth is pretty much dead.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Paully
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Sorry to keep beating this horse, but...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Sucrose

As far as I can tell, this is still a valid school of thought - one to which I proscribe, although others (including Calder) may not.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully View Post
Sorry to keep beating this horse, but...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Sucrose

As far as I can tell, this is still a valid school of thought - one to which I proscribe, although others (including Calder) may not.
Feel free to keep using expensive sugar if it makes you feel better.

I felt the same way many years ago. I was convinced, I should say, I knew that plain table sugar gave beer a cidery taste. I knew it was right because all the books of that time said so. This was back in the 90s and Papazian was the bible. I paid the premium price for corn sugar to prime with and for any sugar additions. All the items you are referencing are carry-overs from that period. I probably could find a dozen references very quickly with similar information in the books on my shelf, so there is no need to add any more links. However, my experience, and many other's is different.

I stopped making beer for a number of years and when I restarted, someone pointed out I could prime without any issues with table sugar. lots of people did it. I was dubious, but I tried it, and .......... noticed no difference. I did some research and found lots of people were using plain table sugar with no issues.

Reading BLAM, Stan Hieronymus points out that many Belgian brewers use beet sugar (not candi sugar) for their trippels. Basically sucrose. I figured, if it was good for them to use in large quantities, it was good enough for me. So I tried it, and ......... noticed no off flavors. Dark candi sugar is a different matter as it does add some flavors.

I don't know what was the origin of this, I suspect poor quality yeast and poor temperature control, and pour extract (I have old books that say to pitch the dregs of 2 bottles in a 5 gallon batch - we know that is way under-pitching and waiting for a problem to occur). I don't believe it is an issue today.

I have a 3 lb bag of corn sugar in the basement. It has been there for 3 years since I changed to using cane sugar.