Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Composition of gasses in the headspace during active fermentation?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: , Connecticut
Posts: 799
Liked 122 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default Composition of gasses in the headspace during active fermentation?

More out of curiosity than anything, but I was wondering if anyone has found out how the gas composition changes within the carboy, assuming perfect seal and that it started out with regular air composition?

I know CO2 is heavier than O2. My theory is that as fermentation is happening, the CO2 produced forces the less dense O2 out of the airlock.

I guess I'm kind of interested to know, because this means that fermentation does it's own CO2 purge, which should mean that taking the airlock on and off, or testing the SG is less intrusive than it would be otherwise.


__________________
Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!
DSorenson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
GSul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Haven, CT
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Good question. Remember that the key to a healthy yeast fermentation is plenty of O2. But indeed a good thought in where does that O2 go...


GSul is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Beaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 30
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Not entirely correct, the yeast only needs O2 in the very beginning, so to say it's needed for fermentation is actually false.

That O2 gets used during the yeast cells lag phase, eventually being used to build healthier cell walls. it's no longer in the fermentor in the same way free O2 is.

The CO2 produced by the fermentation does displace the lighter residual air out of the carboy and essentially blankets the surface of the bitter wort.
Beaker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 22,391
Liked 5015 Times on 2989 Posts
Likes Given: 4187

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSorenson View Post
More out of curiosity than anything, but I was wondering if anyone has found out how the gas composition changes within the carboy, assuming perfect seal and that it started out with regular air composition?

I know CO2 is heavier than O2. My theory is that as fermentation is happening, the CO2 produced forces the less dense O2 out of the airlock.

I guess I'm kind of interested to know, because this means that fermentation does it's own CO2 purge, which should mean that taking the airlock on and off, or testing the SG is less intrusive than it would be otherwise.
CO2 is heavier than O2, but they are gasses and they will mix. The idea of a "blanket of CO2" is not completely accurate. If you remove the airlock, O2 immediately and slowly begins to mix with the other gasses in the headspace. Given enough time, the headspace would be room air due to this mixing.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Beernik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: salt lake city, ut
Posts: 3,540
Liked 497 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

The gases mix, but don't mix instantaneously (not a lot of wind movement in a primary). Plus you have a source of CO2 generation from the fermenting wort.

For these reasons, I would tend to think of the headspace in a primary during fermentation as being more of a plug flow reactor (PFR) than a Continuously Stirred Tank Reactor (CSTR). What ever off gasses from the top of the wort is going to march it's way up and out of the primary.

This changes when active fermentation ends. Then its more like a Batch Reactor and random Brownian Motion can mix gases (like if oxygen is introduced by opening the carboy). But Brownian Motion still isn't an instantaneous process.
__________________
It's a bad sign when you're going away party resembles an open casket funeral where everyone showed up to make sure the body really is in the coffin.
Beernik is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 22,391
Liked 5015 Times on 2989 Posts
Likes Given: 4187

Default

Partial pressures of the gasses move the gas molecules in/out of the fermentor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
The gases mix, but don't mix instantaneously (not a lot of wind movement in a primary). Plus you have a source of CO2 generation from the fermenting wort.

For these reasons, I would tend to think of the headspace in a primary during fermentation as being more of a plug flow reactor (PFR) than a Continuously Stirred Tank Reactor (CSTR). What ever off gasses from the top of the wort is going to march it's way up and out of the primary.

This changes when active fermentation ends. Then its more like a Batch Reactor and random Brownian Motion can mix gases (like if oxygen is introduced by opening the carboy). But Brownian Motion still isn't an instantaneous process.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
feinbera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 779
Liked 180 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

For the practical purposes of homebrewing, you can treat the headspace as an impermeable blanket of CO2 -- while some minuscule amount of oxygen will diffuse through if you pop your carboy bung or bucket lid, as long as you're careful not to slosh things around and disturb the blanket, that amount will be so small as to have no detectable effect on your beer.

Oxygen also diffuses through the water in your airlock, and, if you really wanna geek out, straight through the walls of your fermentation vessel via quantum tunneling -- but, again, in amounts so tiny in the scale of a few-week fermentation that the effects are not detectable, so, we happily pretend these effects do not exist at all, without our beer suffering any adverse effects for the pretending.
feinbera is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 22,391
Liked 5015 Times on 2989 Posts
Likes Given: 4187

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera View Post
For the practical purposes of homebrewing, you can treat the headspace as an impermeable blanket of CO2 -- while some minuscule amount of oxygen will diffuse through if you pop your carboy bung or bucket lid, as long as you're careful not to slosh things around and disturb the blanket, that amount will be so small as to have no detectable effect on your beer.

Oxygen also diffuses through the water in your airlock, and, if you really wanna geek out, straight through the walls of your fermentation vessel via quantum tunneling -- but, again, in amounts so tiny in the scale of a few-week fermentation that the effects are not detectable, so, we happily pretend these effects do not exist at all, without our beer suffering any adverse effects for the pretending.
That's perfect. I didn't mean to suggest that removing the airlock momentarily was a problem.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: , Connecticut
Posts: 799
Liked 122 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default

Wow guys... Thanks! It's reassuring homebrewers are so scientifically inclined.
__________________
Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!
DSorenson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Beernik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: salt lake city, ut
Posts: 3,540
Liked 497 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Partial pressures of the gasses move the gas molecules in/out of the fermentor.
Partial pressures do not move gasses into the fermentor unless you don't have an airlock on it. The airlock works as a one-way valve allowing gas to exit and not enter.


__________________
It's a bad sign when you're going away party resembles an open casket funeral where everyone showed up to make sure the body really is in the coffin.
Beernik is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation chamber gasses Kayos Fermentation & Yeast 3 03-04-2013 01:32 AM
Active 2nd Fermentation w/pic opengun Fermentation & Yeast 9 03-07-2012 02:22 AM
Day 5 and still Active Fermentation Shepherd5 Fermentation & Yeast 2 05-25-2010 07:46 PM
Fermentation gasses..possible fix.. smokinghole Cider Forum 20 11-22-2009 08:21 AM
Which is better? A fast, very active fermentation, or a slow steady fermentation? cerberus9 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-24-2009 04:56 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS