amount of priming sugar for first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I know this should probably go in the Kegging/Bottling area, but it's not very active over there...

I am going to be bottling my 1st lager today and want to make sure I get the right amount of priming sugar. Essentially I'm not sure how to account for the residual CO2 in there.

Here was my temperature regime for a 3.5 gallon batch:
4 days @50-52°F
10 days @56-58°F
6 weeks @ 42-45°F

Since this beer got up as high as 58°F, which would have offgassed a bunch of CO2 from solution, should I use this temperature in my priming calculator? Or, since it's been down in the low 40s for the past 6 weeks, should I use that?

I use table sugar to prime with and, based on the calculator, there's a big difference between the two temps in the amount I should use (~2oz vs ~2.7oz)

Any thoughts? thanks :mug:

I'd warm it up to room temp, then prime and bottle, and use that as your temperature for residual co2. It needs to be at room temp anyway to carbonate.

Thanks, but I do not have the time to let it equilibrate and offgas today. I will be bottling at its current temp.

Man this has me wondering. I have not done a lager yet but I "think" the yeast is still active during the 6 week period and I would guess that would be the temp that you use.

Good luck finding the answer and I am going to be watching this thread as well simply because I do not know the answer but am interested to find out

Latest posts

Back