dead nottingham yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icepatrol

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me here. Brewing an imperial stout with high OG started at 1.081 . 12lbs malt extract. 2 packs dry nottingham yeast. Things were going good for 10days then found my temp above 80 and lowered to 70 and waited a day and nothing checked gravity at 1.026. Gave it a swirl and still no activity . Question is if I give it another pack of yeast what can I expect.

I expect that you're finished fermenting. since it's an imperial stout using extract, I would expect an OG on the high side. It might still drop a couple points, but I doubt it will come down much further.

How did your hydro sample taste and smell??

Just wondering, are you saying that after 10 days of fermentation you noticed the temp up above 80f? Any idea of since when it was up at those temps?? Notty is renowned for throwing off flavours at temps from lower mid 70s upwards, although I'd think that'd be mostly during the first few days of really vigorous fermentation.

Another thing that comes to mind is that dropping the temp from 80 to 70 you stand a pretty good chance that those yeast took this as a sign to go into a state of dormancy. Getting them to wake up and start munching again would probably need a temperature hike, which might not be a good idea as it seems too high as is, even at this stage.

Your present SG of 1.026, down from the OG of 1.081, is actually pretty respectable for an extract stout with that sort of OG. If it doesn't taste hideously, cloyingly, sweet, or have some other kind of nasty off flavour, it might be OK to bottle as is.

If you really wanted to get the gravity down a few more points, dry it up a little more or have some more "clean up" done by yeast, it just might be beneficial to pitch some more that would be able to go to work at the present temperature. Champagne yeast would probably be able to be of assistance in lowering your gravity a little more and definitely ensure your batch carbonates.

It smells just ok.didn't taste very good though still really cloudy. I am hoping that the leaf hops gave it that just ok smell.usually use pellets so didn't know what to expect.added the champagne yeast tonight and will give that a few days then rack to secondary and see how it goes. Thanks for the input .live and learn I guess.

It smells ok not nasty.tasted alittle off the mark but still very cloudy.the temp was at 80 for around 6 hours .left my heater on during the day and just my luck it turned out to be a nice day.anyhow took it back down a few to 75 but no activity. Added the champagne yeast tonight and will see how it tastes & smells in a few days when I rack to secondary .time will tell .thanks for your input. been reading on this site for awhile but havnt posted. Glad I did!

Back