Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Successful Peanut Butter Stout

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
bds3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Successful Peanut Butter Stout

I just tried my third version of peanut butter stout. Over the last 6 months I've attempted to brew a stout with a good, strong peanut butter flavor, and I started my last batch about 2 months ago. It may (hopefully) still get a bit better with age, but it's already fantastic.

I read a ton of posts here about people struggling with good peanut butter flavor, so I thought I'd share my success recipe:

Extract (with steeping grains)

Steep
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked barley
4 oz crystal 40L
Boil
1 oz nugget hops 60 min
7 lbs dark liquid extract
Safale 05
Ferment
2 weeks in primary, rack onto 2 6.5-oz jars of PB2 for one week
Bottle
Rack onto 1 dram Lorann Oils Peanut Butter flavoring (https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8520-pe...er-flavor.aspx) in bottling bucket

It's been in the bottle 4 weeks now.

Reason: Spelling
People Like This 
Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The previous 2 versions were both very good stouts, but they really didn't have much peanut butter character. The deciding factor was the Lorann Oils flavoring.

The first version was really similar to the above recipe without the flavoring, and slightly fewer steeping grains. It was an awesome stout; a couple friends of mine who are beer drinkers (and love the dark stuff) said it was one of the best stouts they had tasted, but the one that didn't know it was a PB stout couldn't pick out the peanut butter. I could, but it 's probably because I knew it was there. It also had some light DME along with the same amount of LME.

The second version I boiled 2 6.5-oz jars plus the 2 in secondary. I also changed the extract to half light/half amber, hoping the malt sweetness might be knocked down a touch allowing the PB to shine through. The PB was more noticeable but the beer itself wasn't as good; the PB still wasn't as much as I wanted and the maltiness being toned down wasn't what I wanted.

Overall the 3rd is pretty much perfect IMO. The dark LME gives complexity and fairly substantial sweetness, which I think might help the peanut butter flavor. The lack of DME (that was in the first) lowers the ABV a little and I think helps the PB shine through. I'm very happy with it; hopefully this can help some other extract brewers looking to do a PB stout or porter.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Very intriguing. Did you not have any problems from the oils? Like a sheen on top of your beer?

What is pb2? Is that a brand of peanut butter?

Did you take gravity readings? I feel like you should end up on the dry side, or maybe just normal 1.01 ish, but maybe the peanut butter has some complex sugars the yeast didn't break down.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
JediSpam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dude this sounds absolutely beautiful. let me know how it is
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout

Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Very intriguing. Did you not have any problems from the oils? Like a sheen on top of your beer?

What is pb2? Is that a brand of peanut butter?

Did you take gravity readings? I feel like you should end up on the dry side, or maybe just normal 1.01 ish, but maybe the peanut butter has some complex sugars the yeast didn't break down.
PB2 is a peanut butter powder, and therefore has something like 85% less fat. The head retention seems ok (I've seen better and I've seen worse); no there's no appreciable sheen.

Gravity was 1.010 after primary and ~1.015 after secondary. There actually seemed to be a little activity based on the airlock after I racked into secondary on the PB2, so I expected it to be drier like you said. Maybe my measurements were somehow off, otherwise I'm not quite sure what explains it.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
JediSpam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is definitely on my to do list!
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout

Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
BaltimoreBrau
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Keep us updated!! This sounds delicious and I'm gonna put it on my list.
Up Next: Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone

Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
JLo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was at GABF this year and drank a peanut butter brown ale. I started with the Northern Brewer Clone kit for Surly Bender and did the same thing you did with the PB2 and Lorann Oil and it turned out exceptional.

Interesting that we both wound up with the same process, there might be something to this....

Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Topher79
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I was thinking of brewing a stout this weekend, but using cocoa nibs in the secondary in conjunction with peanut butter. Do you think that the 16 oz. chocolate/peanut butter powder would be good to use with the nibs?

http://www.amazon.com/Plantation-PB2...5&keywords=pb2

Also, how did you go about sanitizing the peanut butter powder?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Added to my wish list