Dry Hopping an Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkVTbeer

Reaction score
I want to dry hop my amber ale. Any suggestions for hops? Should I dry hop with more than one kind? and 1 oz. or 2oz.?

I dry hop my AAA with 1oz cascade and .5oz of citra but I also use those same hops in the boil.
It depends a bit which hops and what amounts you have already used.

I used anthium but never used them before and was intending to make a redipa but mine may be more like an amber really. Use one or two oz, if you dont like it with two you can age it some and always drink them later if you can.
Hallertau and fuggles will work,youll like it.

I have a 3gal batch that I was thinking of dry hopping with .5oz each cascade, Amarillo, and centennial. Should I split them up or do it all at the same time? Also, it's been fermenting around 57, should I move it to my 68 degree area to dry hop?

I did a ten gal batch of Amber with half dry hopped with 2oz Amarillo and half DH'd with 2oz Centennial. THe Amarillo hopped was dominated by the fruity Amarillo. The Centennial DH'd had the malt and other characteristics break through with an nice citrus hop finish. I plan to do antoher 5 gal batch of the same Amber with a mix of both (1oz ea)

I just cracked open my first bottle of the amber after 4 days bottle conditioning - it's really nice. I did .5 oz each Centennial and Amarillo, a week apart. It's not overwhelmed by the dry hops - the malt comes through nicely. After it's really had time to finish conditioning, it should be very well balanced.

Back