How much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
So I just got a new beer kit. It says to just boil 2gal of water. Would it be ok to boil the full 5 gallons and just follow the instructions as so? Also would I need to boil say 6.5 so I can end up with 5 gallons at the end of the boil?

chickenfever said:
Do the 2 gallons. It is hard to manage 5 gal at a time, heat, and cool. You will make it much more difficult for yourself.

Well u have wort chiller and a large pot that can hold it all. I was just asking if it would hurt anything by doing a full boil and should I boil 6.5 just so it can boil down.

Doing a full boil will give you better hop utilization as opposed to using a smaller amount if water and topping off(diluting) in the fermenter. So if you can boil a larger volume I'd definately recommend it.

Full boils are the way to go if you have the equipment for it imo. If your pot is large enough and you have a chiller id say go for it. Also, if i were you id consider adding most of your malt at knockout (right after the boil). 6.5 gallons is probably a bit much, i usually do 6 gallons tops and end up right at or a little above 5 gallons.

Adrenaline-Junkie said:
Full boils are the way to go if you have the equipment for it imo. If your pot is large enough and you have a chiller id say go for it. Also, if i were you id consider adding most of your malt at knockout (right after the boil). 6.5 gallons is probably a bit much, i usually do 6 gallons tops and end up right at or a little above 5 gallons.

Sounds good. Ill do 6gallons. I planed on doing it that way anyway I just wanted to make sure that would be ok. Thanks.

Sounds good. Ill do 6gallons. I planed on doing it that way anyway I just wanted to make sure that would be ok. Thanks.

Yep, if you can boil (and cool) that much, it will make a better beer. The only reason to ever do a partial boil, like the instructions say, is if you don't have a pot and burner big enough to boil the entire batch, or to cool that much boiling wort. If you can do it, it will make a big difference with less of a "cooked extract" taste, a lighter color, and a fresher taste.

Back