Basics of using real fruit vs juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
I've made a good bit of wine within the past year thanks to everyone on here! However, I've never attempted using real fruit. I think it has to do with the whole 'pressing/juicing' that doesn't seem worth my time. I am intrigued by how different bought juice vs. real fruit compares. With that in mind I have a couple of questions.

Normally, I just use 5 gallons of juice or concentrate+water and fill my better bottles. I know I should get a 6+ gallon bucket for the initial week(s) ferment with fruit. I Have a lot of cheesecloth and know the fruit can be on top of that in the bucket, so I can easily remove/strain the fruit out. Is there a general guideline to how much liquid to use to get about 5 gallons? Like say 6 gallons of liquid + the fruit? I am aware of the 5-6 lbs of fruit per gallon...

Also, since I don't have any equipment for crushing/pressing/juicing/etc, would it be ok to "slice" the fruit up? IE: Core/slice apples? Slice bananas? Pears? etc...

It will really depend on the type of fruit as to the yield per pound, and it varies from one harvest to the next, cultivar, water content of fruit, etc. No one way answer. Some fruits are great at 100%, others may need diluting/blending. Layers of cheesecloth works for pulp, but I think you really want to invest jn med and fine mesh straining bag, some use paint strainers, because you have borhersome miniscule seeds that you may not want for an extended period of time--strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Many fruits are used without a press. For that matter you can use one bucket that fits inside another as a press, with holes in the lower bucket. Always a way.
Most fruit does well if you are able to freeze, thaw, ferment--this breaks down cell walls and typically increases juice yield. Many fruits break down by way of ferment. Have you ever macerated fruit, just covered with sugar and seen how it breaks down? Similar thing.
Are there certain fruits you are interested in? Apples/pears--grind, bananas--steep or go directly into ferment.

There's no specific fruit I was thinking of right away.

From the sounds of it, it seems like almost filling a 6.5g bucket would be worthwhile. That way, when transferring to my 5g better bottle I know I'll have enough. Who knows, sometimes I might have enough for another smaller 1g jug. Thanks for the insight!

Latest posts

Back