So last weekend I was going to brew a Ballantine IPA clone from BYO issue from 6/10. Got all my ingredients Friday with attention of brewing on Saturday while snowed in with the blizzard. Made my starter on Friday with idea, I would cool wort overnight in fridge and pitch on Sunday. But I have had one careless issue after the other...
1. Needed 8 ounces of crystal 60, changed scale to ounces at LHBS to ounces and then got to 0.8 and said OK, 8 ounces. Did not realize my mistake to I was already home and said screw it, not going back.
2. Recipe called 2.25 lbs of flaked maize, instead of bagging separate at shop, I mixed in the bucket with the other grains! Realized mistake as I went to mill, but what could I do at that point...so flaked maize is ground maize.
3. So much snow in MA, spent Saturday and Sunday digging out, so brew day did not happen. Pour out yeast starter since I did not feel it would be OK to wait a week.
4. Went back to shop yesterday to get new yeast and figured while there I would get more crystal 60 to fix mistake #1. Get two vials of yeast as I did last week since that's what starter called for...don't know until I get home that the yeast is even fresher than a week earlier so I only needed one vial.
5. And last, but the biggest issue...as I am printing off recipe and figuring out brewing water additions to prep for tomorrow...I see recipe was for 10.5 lbs US 6 row and I am pretty sure I screwed that up and got 2 row.
So besides that fact that it seems that the brewing Gods are telling me NOT to brew, or are telling me I am a moron, what harm will come from using 2 row vs 6? Here's what the recipe should have been:
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.1 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
1 lbs 14.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.3 %
9.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
2.00 oz Cluster [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 46.3 IBUs
0.85 oz Brewer's Gold [9.40 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 6 17.2 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 3.0 Hop 8 1.9 IBUs
1.5 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.60 %] - Dry Hop 3 Hop 10 0.0 IBUs