Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gettig ill off homebrew

Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

It's either a yeast allergy,or maybe the extra yeast he got in his glass was fed on by something already in his system? Might've speeded up the reaction from the virus or whatever it is/was.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #32
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default beer?

I'll agree with the time frames posted: food poisoning takes at least 8 hours...although people tend to blame the most recent meal or item consumed...the source is almost always at least one meal previous.

What type of beer? homebrewed wheat and rye beers can be very high in gluten...and could cause a quick reaction for those sensitive to gluten. Other similar proteins are also common in homebrew that are filtered or settled out of commercial beer. Most people are sensitive to these proteins...but the body adjusts...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #33
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5876 Times on 5107 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Anytime someone tells me they got ill off homebrew,

I tell them they should get back on some.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It's either a yeast allergy,or maybe the extra yeast he got in his glass was fed on by something already in his system? Might've speeded up the reaction from the virus or whatever it is/was.
No way. There's no scientific basis for that. If anything the presence of yeast would inhibit a virus.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Was thinkin outside the box. You never know how it'll effect that one person. Although the bit about the gluten might be one. Or the yeast caused some violent reaction to him?...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
No way. There's no scientific basis for that. If anything the presence of yeast would inhibit a virus.
Yeah wasn't there recently something about beer drinkers being less likely to get colds?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #37
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Yup. Forgot about that one. Dang,aging sucks...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

To prove that it wasn't your beer, you can have him come back over and drink a whole batch then ask him how he feels.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #39
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 140

When my friend found out that I started homebrewing he told that he brewed exactly once many years ago. He got a small kit for a gift and brewed a batch up. When he drank it, his throat got really sore. He said it was the most painful thing he ever experienced. He went to the doctor and he was told he has a yeast infection in his throat. The doctor said it was probably from the beer.

I don't think he was making it up but I'm still unsure as to whether it was really the brew.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #40
Patro
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So I accidentally posted this in another similar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patro View Post
Heres a link to a study where they attempted to infect beer with common bugs that cause food poisoning. Alcohol was the main factor, basically nothing could grow in beer containing alcohol.

E coli and salmonella survived 30 days in "mid strength beers" so if you had feces and raw chicken all over your bottles food poisoning could be a possibility. But if those are the conditions of your home hes more likely to have gotten it from the glass or any surface he touched.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22004814/
Basically you can't get food poisoning from beer.

Revvy Likes This