Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Crowns

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
DoubleAught
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Crowns

I ordered 4 crowns this week, one of each noble hop. I should have read better as I assumed they'd be shipped in the spring, but it looks like I'm getting them by the end of the week. My question is how should I store these crowns until the warmer spring temps? Should I put each in a planter with potting soil and store in my garage (it stays around 40 degrees in winter unless it gets really cold out).

I've been reading a lot about planting and growing but nothing about storage until ready to plant.

Thanks for any advice!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1490 Posts

I'd keep them dark and cold until your zone is ready for planting 'em in the ground...

Cheers!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Norie_
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I would wrap them in paper towel to keep the dry in an open bag in your garage. Moisture will cause mold to grow and you don't want that. I work part time for a small landscaping/gardening company. We usually plant corms, rhizomes, bulbs, etc. in the late fall before the ground hardens for the winter and they sprout up in the spring. Come early spring you should be good to go.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
DoubleAught
Recipes 

OK, sounds good! Cold, dry and dark...I can do that.

Norie, when you say early spring I'm assuming April - May? Here in April the daytime temps are pretty warm, colder at night. There's always a possibility of a freak freeze up until around May. Would April be a good time, or would waiting be the better alternative?
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Srfeutz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Early Shipping

Can I ask where you bought them from?
I'm in San Diego and am looking to start my first plants soon.
Going to plant them in pots for now, so I can get them in "The Ground" now.
Thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
DoubleAught
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srfeutz View Post
Can I ask where you bought them from?
I'm in San Diego and am looking to start my first plants soon.
Going to plant them in pots for now, so I can get them in "The Ground" now.
Thanks for any help.
Ya no problem....I bought them here.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops?fref=ts

you shop and pay right from Facebook

Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I'd keep them dark and cold until your zone is ready for planting 'em in the ground...
that's good advice for rhizomes, but i'm pretty sure that isn't what you want to do with crowns.

crowns are sprouted plants, they have bines and leaves. putting them in a dark cold place will cause the plant to die back and thus eliminating the advantage of getting crowns.

i would plant them in a pot and keep them indoors by a southern facing window. they won't be happy, but they shouldn't die. they might lose some leaves but they'll bounce back. when the risk of frost is gone, plant outside.

best people to ask is Great Lakes Hops. they're super helpful.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...
Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
DoubleAught
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell

that's good advice for rhizomes, but i'm pretty sure that isn't what you want to do with crowns.

crowns are sprouted plants, they have bines and leaves. putting them in a dark cold place will cause the plant to die back and thus eliminating the advantage of getting crowns.

i would plant them in a pot and keep them indoors by a southern facing window. they won't be happy, but they shouldn't die. they might lose some leaves but they'll bounce back. when the risk of frost is gone, plant outside.

best people to ask is Great Lakes Hops. they're super helpful.
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll shoot GLH a message.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1490 Posts

Sprouted? Leaves? What kind of crown are we talking about being delivered in winter?

What I've seen for sale are post-harvest root balls with chopped off bine stubs. No leaves. No sprouts. Just an end-of-the-season essentially topless plant that's headed for dormancy. And given the zone I'm in, I'd keep it in that state until it's time to plant...

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
DoubleAught
Recipes 

I think I'll ask what Great Lake hops recommend. I have a lot of work to do building the trellis once it warms up a little.