Cream Ale No name version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
So this is what I brewed today . Did not put this in recipe section because obviously I have no FG or taste or other info on finished product . Just wanted to get opinions on it .

All Grain
4 pds 12.8 ounces pale 2 row
3 pds pilsner 2 row
8.3 oz 6 row
1 lb 4 oz instant rice
1 pd corn sugar 15 min
1 pd corn
2 tsp irish moss 10 min
1 oz hallertauer 60 min
1 oz tettnang 10 min

mashed at 154 for 1 1/2 hours or so , was waiting for my sparge water to cool since I over heated it .
mashed with about 3.5 gallons water at 168.
sparged with a little over 4 gallons 170.

ended up with 6 gallons . was right on target for my pre boil ( beer Smith ) 1.047 although I did use some different amounts of mash water than called for but not off by much .
FG was 1.056

Came out a nice cream color perhaps a light tan with a lot of pure white foam when stirring up with a paint stirrer in drill http://www.harborfreight.com/all-purpose-mixer-41015.html $3.99 works great .

Your recipe looks great!! I would have mashed a bit lower say 150. But other than that it look like its going to be a good one. What yeast are you using?

I tried to mash at 148 for 75 and it worked for while then I lost a degree so I decided to add in some hot water and I went too far .

by the way my new idea to my mash tun filter worked out very well indeed . no vorlauf needed . It ran clear right off with the valve wide open . I used a 5 gallon nylon paint filter over my screen.

Which yeast did you use for this ale? Let us know how it turns out. I am always looking to try a new cream ale recipe. If you make this again I might increase the 6-row to a full lb to help with the adjunct conversions.

I used US 05 . I just added in the 6 row on a whim because I had some . But I do think it could use some more .
I made a brewers best cream ale kit once . it was good . I think I only left in fermenter for a week and then bottled and let it sit for two months before it started tasting good

I used US 05 . I just added in the 6 row on a whim because I had some . But I do think it could use some more .
I made a brewers best cream ale kit once . it was good . I think I only left in fermenter for a week and then bottled and let it sit for two months before it started tasting good

Yeah let us know how it turns out. But am sure it will be great. As long as u ferment it low around 59-62f. So it stays nice and clean!!!

here is an update . Having never tried fermenting under 70 degrees I was not sure what to expect as to time . With usual 72 degrees I get very fast fermentation , non stop bubbles and no visual activity after about 4 days . How ever with this batch at 68 degrees it is still bubbling away in the air lock after a week . Not fast and never was. Just a few bubbles every 30 seconds or so .
So I guess this is either the temp or perhaps just a low yeast count . So I moved this into a 72 degree room and the bubbling is about the same but every 10 seconds now .
I will check again later to see if the new temp causes even more activity .

Update : I just opened a bottle of this last night . Not sure where I came up with this recipe at but is supposed to be a brewers best cream ale clone that I converted to AG in beer smith . NOT . It is not horrible but I would not want to drink any more of it . Will most likely go down the sink if it does not improve over time .
Taste : Grapefruit and alcohol . Kind of like a screw driver but with grapefruit instead of orange juice .Then add in 7/8 a glass of water and you have this beer.
So basically it tastes like grapefruit juice watered down with teaspoon of everclear in it .
How ever if a person liked the grapefruit taste this might be a good summertime beer . I hate grapefruit.
ABV: 5.6% OG went down to 1.011

Plan on giving this a month or so more in the bottle and try again .

Update : I just opened a bottle of this last night . Not sure where I came up with this recipe at but is supposed to be a brewers best cream ale clone that I converted to AG in beer smith . NOT . It is not horrible but I would not want to drink any more of it . Will most likely go down the sink if it does not improve over time .
Taste : Grapefruit and alcohol . Kind of like a screw driver but with grapefruit instead of orange juice .Then add in 7/8 a glass of water and you have this beer.
So basically it tastes like grapefruit juice watered down with teaspoon of everclear in it .
How ever if a person liked the grapefruit taste this might be a good summertime beer . I hate grapefruit.
ABV: 5.6% OG went down to 1.011

Plan on giving this a month or so more in the bottle and try again .

Sounds like your fermentation temperature was to high!!!

All my beers ferment at around 70 to 72 . This one I did at 68 which should be great for US05 but it sure went slow and very long like well over a week. Came out with good ABV so it must have worked alright . I think it is just that hops I used putting in it's grapefruit flavor . Oh well it should improve with age if not the sink will love it .
My cream ale kit took a few months to taste good but it did not taste like this .

Those German hops shouldn't give any grapefruit. I agree that it could be the fermentation temps, even though you have enjoyed other beers fermented that high.

Well hope it ages out and tastes good . If not then back to the drawing board . A little bottle conditioning in different temps may help out .

Well that grapefruit flavor is gone at least in the 4 beers I drank . It is tasting like a cream ale i.e. not a lot of flavor to speak of . At least that is what I get from a cream .
I soaked a few kent golding pellets in vodka and squirted a eye dropper or so in a glass . Not bad . I think it needed more . Next time I make cream ale I am going to hop it up .

Now I have put a pinch of whole kent goldings in my glass of beer . Stirred around a bit and after a few minutes it has a pretty good hop flavor . Does not look so good with them leaves floating around on top but it tastes good .

Back