Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract Rauchbeir?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
C_F
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Since discovering the lovely Schlenkerla products very recently I've been thinking about trying a homebrew version as well.

Weyermann produces a smoked malt which I've found at Northern Brewer that I thought about adapting to a Marzen style partial mash.

I also found out that Weyermann produces a smoked LME they call Bamberg Rauch:

http://www.weyermannmalt.com/eng/pro...e=37&sprache=2

On Weyermanns website they list the U.S. Wholesaler of their products as Brewers Supply Group:

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/Weyerman.html

Don't know if they bring in the LME or the grain or both. I just started poking around late yesterday so I haven't tried to contact anyone yet.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F View Post
Don't know if they bring in the LME or the grain or both. I just started poking around late yesterday so I haven't tried to contact anyone yet.
The grain is readily available at just about every online store, but AFAIK the LME is not sold in the US.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2923 Times on 2526 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

I've been curious about trying this in a partial mash for a dark amber ale to go with pit bbq. So many possibilities. Just how much to use to add the taste to the complexity of the malt profile without overwelming it.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
C_F
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
The grain is readily available at just about every online store, but AFAIK the LME is not sold in the US.
My search so far backs this up. Wonder why the LME isn't brought here?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1134 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F View Post
My search so far backs this up. Wonder why the LME isn't brought here?
Probably because of limited demand for it and the limited shelf life of LME. I wouldn't want to stock it and have it deteriorate on my shelf while I waited for the 1 in a thousand customer to walk in my door and ask for it.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
C_F
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Probably because of limited demand for it and the limited shelf life of LME. I wouldn't want to stock it and have it deteriorate on my shelf while I waited for the 1 in a thousand customer to walk in my door and ask for it.
Pretty much what I thought. And I don't disagree with the decision either. It does seem to be love/hate with that style of beer.

Sent a message off to NB to see if they can or are willing to try and get some. Kind of a pain I imagine so not holding my breath.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
jaguardoc504
Recipes 

Just to chime in:
I work for a company located in Bamberg Germany, actually on the same street as Weyermann (Company Wieland Electric)
I could talk to a few guys over there to see about sourcing some of the Weyermann specialty malts.
I will actually be there in two weeks, also I make about 8 trips a year there, so not a problem to get some stuff shipped home.

On a side note; the smell in the city is amazing, very often you can see/smell the malt roasting vapors in the air.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
C_F
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguardoc504 View Post
Just to chime in:
I work for a company located in Bamberg Germany, actually on the same street as Weyermann (Company Wieland Electric)
I could talk to a few guys over there to see about sourcing some of the Weyermann specialty malts.
I will actually be there in two weeks, also I make about 8 trips a year there, so not a problem to get some stuff shipped home.

On a side note; the smell in the city is amazing, very often you can see/smell the malt roasting vapors in the air.
Awesome! That would be very nice of you!
I'd be willing to send you the money if your willing/able to pick a jug
or two up for me. Just post or message me the details when you find out.

And I bet the smell is mouth watering.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2923 Times on 2526 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

I'm making up my shopping list for Feb 1st orders. I'm ordering a pound of Weyermann's smoked malt,using half in a dark lager/steam sort of beer. Being a specialty malt with a diastatic power of 48,does it need to be mashed? A small partial mash in place of the steep with just crystal is fine.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
maverick9862
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did a smoked specialty grain brew early on for a Strong Scotch Ale. I don't really remember the details, but my notes say that the smoked flavor really came out after 8 weeks of bottle conditioning. But I also added charred oak to the secondary for about 2 weeks.

The gist:
7# of mixed fermentables (LME, DME)
1# of Briess Smoked Malt
1/4c. blackstrap molasses
design the yeast, body and hop components to your liking.

I don't think this will quite work into the Rauchbeir category, but it is possible to do a smoked malt extract beer with specialty grain.