Cloudy beer problem - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cloudy beer problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Djuhnk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Park, MN
Posts: 57
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


I know I could be a little more patient on the racking, but racking to my keg and letting it sit could also be looked at as a secondary fermentation.

Anyways, with a better bottle, how do you guys usually do the final gravity testing? I know the process of testing for it but i just never want to take the top off and risk contamination/oxidation each time you test it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
Demus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,246
Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuhnk View Post
I know I could be a little more patient on the racking, but racking to my keg and letting it sit could also be looked at as a secondary fermentation.

Anyways, with a better bottle, how do you guys usually do the final gravity testing? I know the process of testing for it but i just never want to take the top off and risk contamination/oxidation each time you test it.
I use the ported ones with the racking/bottling valve. Haven't started a syphon in 4 years and don't miss it!!! A sample is as easy as opening the valve for a few seconds...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
progmac
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,969
Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts


are you cold crashing?
__________________
на здравје!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Djuhnk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Park, MN
Posts: 57
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


i thought about getting a few of those, i think im just going to upgrade to conicals soon.

im racking to a keg purged with co2 and letting it set for 2-5 days as a secondary, and then force carbing and sticking it in my fridge to cool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
Demus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,246
Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
are you cold crashing?
I only cold crash when doing a lager or if I can't get to a beer that's ready for a few weeks. The only problem I've ever had with cloudiness is not enough of it in my kegged wheat beers. My beers are usually clearer than I prefer!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,416
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


There a couple of things that could be going on. The first thing I'd suggest is doing a conversion test to see if the conversion is complete. You should have conversion within an hour, but testing will prove it. Iodine is cheap, or use Iodophor if you can't get iodine in your drugstore.

The next thing is that you really need to boil hard, and get a hot break before adding hops or starting your timing. If you're doing a short boil, you very well may not be getting a long enough boil for this to happen. After the hot break, then you can start your timer and boil for 60 minutes.

I'd suggest a tablet of whirlfloc in the boil with 15 minutes left, and then chilling quickly to under 70 degrees to get a great cold break.

Those should really help. At this point, I'm not sure if you have a protein haze or a starch haze, but those steps will fix both.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #17
Djuhnk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Park, MN
Posts: 57
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


So basically I just need to make sure all the starches are converted and that all the proteins are coagulated and in the trub instead of floating in my beer. I'm also gonna try Irish moss for the first time ever.

What's the benefit of chilling the beer super fast? I have an immersion chiller but it might not chill as fast as a chillzilla

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
progmac
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,969
Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
I only cold crash when doing a lager or if I can't get to a beer that's ready for a few weeks. The only problem I've ever had with cloudiness is not enough of it in my kegged wheat beers. My beers are usually clearer than I prefer!!
Interesting. Cold crashing is the only way I've been able to eliminate chill haze. If I don't cold crash, it takes like 2 weeks in the fridge before they pour crystal-clear.
__________________
на здравје!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,416
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuhnk View Post
So basically I just need to make sure all the starches are converted and that all the proteins are coagulated and in the trub instead of floating in my beer. I'm also gonna try Irish moss for the first time ever.

What's the benefit of chilling the beer super fast? I have an immersion chiller but it might not chill as fast as a chillzilla
Chilling quickly helps to really get the cold break to form- it looks like great big fluffy goobers. I notice that I get a lot of cold break as I get close to 70 degrees in my system, and that the wort is totally clear going into the fermenter.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Djuhnk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Park, MN
Posts: 57
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


True I've seen it come out of a chillzilla crystal clear. Alrighty thanks again yooper

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloudy hydrometer sample. Is this a problem? msa8967 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 03-27-2012 01:50 AM
Cloudy beer???? freeman00 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 01-28-2012 09:52 PM
What causes cloudy beer? Rhymenoceros Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 01-26-2009 02:52 AM
Cloudy beer Hooraybeer! Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-06-2008 03:20 PM
Cloudy beer Brewno Extract Brewing 19 11-29-2007 06:54 PM


Forum Jump