What Caramel Malts Do You Use In Your Favorite Brown Ale Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made a handful of brown ales over the last few years and I am curious about what caramel malt or malts you fellow brewers are using in your brown ale recipes. Do you use just one caramel malt or layer multiple caramel malts for complexity? What are the percentages of caramel malts in your brown ale recipes?

I love brown ales! Last one I brewed was my favorite, and a family favorite. I used caramel 40L and 60L. I also sprinkled in some chocolate and munich as well. It was wonderful. I used Glacier hops in my brown, and man is that good! I think that the flavor Glacier brings to the table compliments the caramels soooo well!

10% Caramel 60

Actually a British crystal that is sometimes specd as an EBC 150.

This is for Hobgoblin. See the clone recipe on this site. I think the hops are too much
in that recipe.

It depends on what kind of brown ale I'm making.

For a mild, I use a combination of 60L and 120L. For a Southern English brown, I'll use 60L or 80L plus the 120L, but in a larger quantity. For Northern English brown ("nut brown"), I"ll use 40L typically, but add some special roast and victory malt.

For my mild, it's usually 8% 60L, and 6% 120L or thereabouts. For the Southern, it's more like 12% 60L (or 80L) and then about 8% 120L. For the drier Northern, i use about 5% 40L.

Thinking about it now, I almost always use special roast in both my Southern and Northern English browns as well as the crystal.

Of the two browns I've brewed (I'm not all that big of a fan of the style, these were brewed with the intention of being gifts), was 1.044OG.
Marris Otter 66%
Malted Oats 9%
Golden nated oats 9%
Amber Malt 5%
Crystal 60L 4%
Pale chocolate 2%
Chocolate 2%
CaraAroma 2%

Substantial mouthfeel, lots of rich toasty and caramel flavors. I might need to revisit this someday.

I personally love this recipe.

7.75 lbs pale ale malt
1.25 lbs crystal 60
1.24 lbs crystal 40
.25 lbs debittered black
.5 lbs rauch malt

1 ounce target hops @ 60 minutes

yeast - WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale

It depends on what kind of brown ale I'm making.

For a mild, I use a combination of 60L and 120L. For a Southern English brown, I'll use 60L or 80L plus the 120L, but in a larger quantity. For Northern English brown ("nut brown"), I"ll use 40L typically, but add some special roast and victory malt.

For my mild, it's usually 8% 60L, and 6% 120L or thereabouts. For the Southern, it's more like 12% 60L (or 80L) and then about 8% 120L. For the drier Northern, i use about 5% 40L.

Thinking about it now, I almost always use special roast in both my Southern and Northern English browns as well as the crystal.

I tend to use a combination of 60L and 120L as well, but I am still fooling with my percentages in the recipe i've been playing with for a while. What does the special roast bring to the party?

Avery Ellie's Brown Ale is good:

2 Row Pale - 81.6%
Munich 10L - 8.2%
Chocolate - 6.1%
C-120L - 4.1%

I use a layered C-malt in my southern English brown: 5% C-20, 5% C-60, 5% C-80 and 4% Pale Chocolate Malt. with 2-row base malt and mild hops.

Back