AHS Galaxy Pale Ale - enough Galaxy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsit

Reaction score
I ordered up Austin Home Brew's Galaxy Pale Ale 5 gallon kit, and received everything today. I was really surprised at the hop schedule. Only 1 oz of hops were included, set for 3/4 at 60 min, 1/4 at 15 min, and nothing else. The grain bill is pretty simple, 9/14 lb 2 row, 1/2 lb crystal, and 1/2 lb honey malt. Does this really seem like an appropriate amount of hops for this recipe?

I know a lot of it is going to be based on taste... and I'm a west coast pale kind of guy. This is the first kit from Texas that I have bought, and I am mainly concerned that their version of good hop flavor is grossly understated. For example, Shiner Wild Hare.

Any modifications to make a pronounced Galaxy-centered pale would be awesome.

i'd contact them, seems quite low for a pale ale

i understand not posting their recipes but they should be more upfront about the amount of hops included

1/4oz late addition is light even for a mild hop flavor

i'd either get some galaxy locally if you can or order some from farmhouse (if in stock) or maybe AHS will cut you some slack on shipping if they carry galaxy outside of their kits

worst case use another hop for bittering and use the galaxy for late additions but its a great aroma hop as well so using some for dry hop would be ideal IMO

Thats kind of what I was thinking. What I was thinking would be more appropriate would have been 1 oz for bittering and at least .5 for both flavor and aroma each. Got a good idea for a complimenting bittering hop I could pick up from the LHBS?

grab something neutral, magnum, warrior etc - anything should work pretty well

if you want another hop to compliment the later additions citra is pretty similar

Yeah I agree, bitter with something else and if you can find another oz of galaxy, dry hop with it... I'm really digging galaxy, very Citra-like to me.

So I brewed this kit, with some serious modification... I used 1oz Magnum for bittering, then used .5oz Galaxy at 25, 15, 10 and 5 minutes, and 1oz at flameout. Fermented from about 1.047 down to 1.012, and I kegged it a few days ago. Just took a pull off the tap, and I'm pretty happy. While it's not really a pale anymore, more an IPA... it is still very drinkable and has a great aroma (I think partially due to the yeast used). If I had to do it again, I would probably cut the bittering hops in half, and move an ounce of hops from flavor/aroma to dry hop.

Latest posts

Back