Anyone using Jaybirds Hopblockers? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone using Jaybirds Hopblockers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
ricksox
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Moorpark, CA
Posts: 32


Last week my brew partner and I ran into some serious clog issues in our plate chiller due to trub and hop gunk from the boil kettle. I've already ordered and installed a custom false bottom from Norcal Brewing Solutions and it's awesome so I was debating picking up one of their hop blocker mini screens (the 5" one) for my keggle. Just curious to hear if anyone has any opinions on this? Do they work pretty well? Do they keep most of the trub and gunk out of your chiller?

Here's what I am talking about:




 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
ricksox
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Moorpark, CA
Posts: 32

So apparently not? Haha.

OK, does anyone have any experience with hop baskets (spiders?) vs. bottom of the keggle type filters like the one I posted above?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


i think that screen is intended to go under a jaybird false bottom in a mash tun, i made one just like it for my mash tun out of scrap perforated stainless.

edit: i just looked on their website and that is a hopblocker, they have a similar design for the mash tun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


it would probably work well with leaf but not as well with pellets.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Pretty sure they're made for whole hops, not pellet hops.

I'm using a hop spider of my own design currently, in my keggle. Everything in it's construction is stainless except for large nylon bag that the hops go into (a large grain bag often used in BIAB). Has no problems holding ~8oz of pellet hops in there and would be able to hold more if I wanted (probably with a larger batch size).
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Posts: 7,427
Liked 922 Times on 653 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksox View Post
Last week my brew partner and I ran into some serious clog issues in our plate chiller due to trub and hop gunk from the boil kettle. I've already ordered and installed a custom false bottom from Norcal Brewing Solutions and it's awesome so I was debating picking up one of their hop blocker mini screens (the 5" one) for my keggle. Just curious to hear if anyone has any opinions on this? Do they work pretty well? Do they keep most of the trub and gunk out of your chiller?

Here's what I am talking about:

If you are looking for a solution for trub and pellet hops getting into and clogging your plate chiller the only real "total" solutions we have is the 15" reversed hinge and a level 3 filter/stand. The 5" mini was designed for a total different use. I have had several people ask if they can use the level 3 alone without a 15" and my answer is this. We have done a test with it, with both pellet hops and whole hops alone without the 15" on top of it. It will filter a very small amount without getting clogged. It just does not have the surface area needed to be very useful alone. The 15" hinged false bottom stops about 70% of the pellet mush and trub, the level 3 will stop the other 30% of the debris, and I must say is VERY effective if used in the system.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Jay
__________________
Need a False Bottom for your Keg, Kettle or Cooler?

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE


Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
ricksox
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Moorpark, CA
Posts: 32

Thank you all for the very informative and helpful replies!

Rick

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
ricksox
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Moorpark, CA
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
If you are looking for a solution for trub and pellet hops getting into and clogging your plate chiller the only real "total" solutions we have is the 15" reversed hinge and a level 3 filter/stand. The 5" mini was designed for a total different use. I have had several people ask if they can use the level 3 alone without a 15" and my answer is this. We have done a test with it, with both pellet hops and whole hops alone without the 15" on top of it. It will filter a very small amount without getting clogged. It just does not have the surface area needed to be very useful alone. The 15" hinged false bottom stops about 70% of the pellet mush and trub, the level 3 will stop the other 30% of the debris, and I must say is VERY effective if used in the system.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay,

Thanks for jumping in and helping out. I'll take a look on the website today!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jaybirds Ultimate Whirlpool Hop Stopper! Jimmy_B For Sale 3 12-18-2011 10:11 PM


Forum Jump