Lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Yeah, Commodore out competed TI in the home computer market but TI is still going strong in the electronics market. Related to my own experience, I recently had a good mic preamp that had TI chips in it. They have a good rep from what I understand.

So they do chip sets now? Glad to hear they are still around.

So they do chip sets now? Glad to hear they are still around.

TI sells a great array of processors. I'm a design engineer. I use their MSP430 16-bit processors A LOT! In fact, I've made them a lot of money considering the number of devices I've put their processors in.

So yes, TI is still around.

[edit] I should mention that I design their analog parts into as much as I can. I live TI. Go America. I design as much U.S. stuff as I can into my products. I just finished a device for a Swedish company that is full of TI and Analog Devices (another US company) components.

Like Pioneer Trail on Apple 2e

I ended up getting an Apple 2e after I had my 4086, but still had fun playing around with it.

As for TI, if I'm not mistaken they sold a LOT of modem chipsets in the 90s, in fact my el cheapo 56k I spoke of earlier had a TI chipset.

How about playing Star Trek on a Decwriter? Anyone else ever use a Televideo CRT to code where you didn't have a backspace key? I learned to hate CTRL-H. And I hated numbering my card decks even after I dropped em.

How about playing Star Trek on a Decwriter? Anyone else ever use a Televideo CRT to code and you didn't have a backspace key? I hated using CTRL-H. And I hated numbering my card decks even after I dropped em.

I remember the DECWriters. My lab had a PDP 11/45. That's where I learned to code. We had one of those CRTs. It was about 3 feet thick. If. I ever get cancer I'm blaming that sucker.

I remember that program so well. What a hoot. The program was a full 7 periods of high school. You made choices throughout the day. It was cool.

Did I lol? No, but I chuckled inside. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

Your original post referred to insincere LOLs. I think yours was a sincere LOL, so it's acceptable.

You guys are really old!

I remember hitting the shareware shop in town & picking up my 1st copy of Doom. It came on one 3.5 inch disk. THAT was high tech. I played it on my 286 IBM and it was way cool.

I had a 14.4 modem with V90 to hit that BBS & play to the wee hours of the night.

My wife complained she was a computer widow.

You guys are really old!

I remember hitting the shareware shop in town & picking up my 1st copy of Doom. It came on one 3.5 inch disk. THAT was high tech. I played it on my 286 IBM and it was way cool.

I had a 14.4 modem with V90 to hit that BBS & play to the wee hours of the night.

Hey, get off my lawn you young punk! (Shaking fist)

You guys are really old!

ID Software says "If you are playing a pirated copy of Doom, you are going to HELL".

You guys are really old!

Ummm hate to break it to you but If you were playing Doom on a 286 and married at the time you arent exactly a spring chicken.

I remember those days... I think our first modem was 300 baud... Back when you had two colors on the screen and one of them was dark. :D

I remember when cell phones were more car phones because the damned things were too big to carry around. Or you used an entire briefcase to carry it around.

Hear the squelch and grind of the modem? The sound was cool, the speeds were pathetic (by today's standards).

Man, some of us sound like such old farts... :eek:

Yeah, well, you're not an"old fart" 'til you can remember WW2....

Every time I see an insincere LOL I want to plant a claymore and perforate the poster. Did you really laugh out loud? Really?

I'm really unhappy by the insincerity of the internet these days. Either state your feelings or move on. LOL? Really? ROTFL?

BTW, cell dweebs, we nerds used these shortcuts on bulletin boards before cellphones were a wet dream. Before the WWW was a wet dream. Anyone remember dial-up 1200/4800/9600?

Hayes? Ha!

I remember VE day and VJ day. I remember Lowal Thomas News on radio (no TV then). Forget it, NOOB! (just kidding).....:)

estricklin said:

Zork was added as an easter egg in Black Ops. You actually sit at an old terminal and can play the whole text based game... "You are standing in front of a house..."

I started out on a TRS80. Doing simple programs to make the screen change colors while a little ball bounced around on the screen. Then we got a Commodore 64 and I started habituating BBS'. My buddy's handle was Mad for Mad Magazine so mine was Cracked. All these years later I guess not much has changed!

Every time I see an insincere LOL I want to plant a claymore and perforate the poster. Did you really laugh out loud? Really?

I'm really unhappy by the insincerity of the internet these days. Either state your feelings or move on. LOL? Really? ROTFL?

BTW, cell dweebs, we nerds used these shortcuts on bulletin boards before cellphones were a wet dream. Before the WWW was a wet dream. Anyone remember dial-up 1200/4800/9600?

Hayes? Ha!

this made me LOTIATITWFBSTWITRIDNAGOL. I'm glad it wasn't an LOL because I was drinking coffee at the time of reading, and I probably would have spit it out on my keyboard.

Yeah, well, you're not an"old fart" 'til you can remember WW2....

That's way before my time, Methuselah. :D Hell, my parents were born in 1945 and 1946.

But, compared with some of the people on these boards, we are 'old timers'... Just because I can remember the days before cable TV. Or when a Sony Walkman first came out and everyone wanted one so bad. Or how one of the cars we owned had an 8 track in it. :eek:

Look at how far we've advanced in the past 40 years alone... Imagine what it will be like in another 30-40 years.

Hayes? Ha!

I've been looking around this forum and removing some of the tard posts (like this one) that I made last night. Gawd, I need to invent a computer mouse with a breathalyzer that keeps me from posting when sloshed. Frigging rye IPA is too good.

I've been looking around this forum and removing some of the tard posts (like this one) that I made last night. Gawd, I need to invent a computer mouse with a breathalyzer that keeps me from posting when sloshed. Frigging rye IPA is too good.

psssh. drunk posts are good posts.

If it's a mouse, it would need to use a blood analyzer since the chances of you breathing onto it, when F'd up, are rather remote. Maybe integrate something into a keyboard that locks it unless you prove you're not fershnickered. :D

Shouldn't this whole thread be in the drunk ramblings subforum?

Nahhhh... Just because passedpawn was fershnickered when he started it doesn't automatically make it go there. Besides, it's more 'general chit chat' if you ask me... :D

Now, if BobbiLynn comes and posts, then there's more justification for it going into that section. :eek: :D

passedpawn said:

LOL.. One can even earn himself a ban on a particularly splendid evening, or so I've heard.

so, the game my wife & I play got a lot of traffic from WoW. in general chat some people would "lol" everything anyone said. most of them came over from WoW. I'd mock them by using "ehl. oh. ehl." along with what ever they were babbling about and typing in absurd "1337" & valley girl.

Wait, I thought that was to write-protect the disk - similar to flipping the little tab on the 3-1/2" disks.

You young guys don't know anything. The hole in the disc is for double side, covering the notch in the edge write protects the disc. Same as for an 8" floppy.

I started on an IBM 1180 with 8k core and a Hollerith card reader. The last 5 columns were for the card number so that you could sort the deck after dropping it. Always incremented count by 10 so that you could add cards in between to correct errors. Acoustic couplers and 110 baud used to be high tech, along with 8 channel punch tape.

Glad those days are over, what's the next 50 years going to bring?

My first PC (excluding the commodores,etc):
2400 baud modem
2 meg ram (that's MEG not GIG)
386DX20 (I went whole hog and skipped the SX!<grin>)
60meg RLL hard drive
hopped up 512k video card
15" VGA monitor
5.25 floppy AND a 3.5 disk
A keyboard a tank could run over and still keep working
All of this for a measly ~$2500.00.

I ran a small (really small) bbs for a few years. Downloaded usenet groups, RIME, and a couple of other message bases, along with a file feed via satellite. The uplink....via dial-up modem. It was fun, it was slow. All DOS based. A friend came along and setup *real* internet access a year or so later...told me if I wouldn't compete with her (come on, I couldn't compete with a T-1 or whatever) that she'd give me free internet for life...she had about 20 lines (dial-up). DEAL!!! :mug: Anyhow, that lasted for several years until the city gave an outside entity a big grant to become another ISP. Basically shut her down over night.

As for the texters using the little "acronyms"....ham radio guys working cw have used the *logical* ones for decades!

GB U ES URS,
Ed

Hey! I missed the party! My first computer was a Timex Sinclair. Tiny and pretty much worthless, after my trials and tribulations with that ended up with an Apple 2c. That was a move up, I took that to college. So you can see, I am fairly old. I doubt many know what that was. I will say, living in my trailer house off campus with my PC and a VCR, I was rocking the free world!:)

Back