My first 5 gallon batch - almost 3 weeks in primary and gravity seems off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgarner58

Reaction score
So I put my first 5 gallon batch in primary almost 3 weeks ago. It is a True Brew IPA and the instruction kit listed OG as 1.052 - which the wort matched that when pitched, and the instructions said FG should be 1.012-1.014. I pulled a sample last night to check gravity since I was planning on bottling Saturday anyhow, and my reading is closer to 1.018. This isn't WAY off, but I am wondering what could have made this difference...even if it is slight.

I am learning and I want to try to do everything right...it's an obsession.

Any ideas?

Your volumes may be off, your yeast may not have been as active as it should, your temperatures may have been off... 0.006 off your target for your first batch is nothing to be upset about.

Did you make a yeast starter? That would definitely help you kick off a good fermentation and reach better numbers.

Good job. Now enjoy that homebrew!

I pulled a sample last night to check gravity since I was planning on bottling Saturday anyhow, and my reading is closer to 1.018. This isn't WAY off, but I am wondering what could have made this difference...even if it is slight.

I am learning and I want to try to do everything right...it's an obsession.

Any ideas?

What was the temperature of the wort at which you took the original gravity reading, and the final gravity reading? Most hydrometers (every one I ever used) are "accurate" at 60°F, so if not taken at this temp will be slightly off. So even if your OG appeared to be what the kit claimed it should be, it may have actually not been what your hydrometer said. Same is true for your final gravity. This doesn't mean if you check it at 61 degrees that you're going to be wayyyy off... this is not the case. But checking it at 85 degrees might throw you some. I don't know the math off the top of my head to know how far off it is. But I usually try to take readings as close to 60 as possible.

What I normally do when transferring chilled wort into the fermeter is take a small sample (enough to fill the hydrometer tube minus the volume of the hydrometer... either fill it with the hydrometer in it and wait for it to float, or before hand have an approx mark that would allow it to float and not overflow when you drop it in the tube) and pop it in the fridge for a bit, and then finish up my work. Once everything is sealed up and cleaned up, I take the sample out of the fridge and check with thermometer. If it's below 60, I'll grip with both hands and swirrel around a little so my hands warm it up, and then take gravity reading once the thermometer says 60.

Same way when checking prior to bottling; My fermentations are usually taking place in the house, which is usually above 60°F, so I pull a sample and chill it down to 60, then take the reading.

All that said, you are still close and I doubt you did anythign seriously wrong. I wouldn't worry about it, and hopefully my long-winded methods will give you some tips on future readings.

Thanks, cheers, and enjoy your beers! :mug:

Nic

Edit: Oops, didn't notice BadNewsBrewery already said kinda the same thing about temps.

But another thing to note is to be "sure" your fermentation is done prior to bottling, take a gravity sample 2 or 3 days in a row, or at least several hours apart, and compare them. If three in a row are trending downwards, it's still fermenting. If three in a row are dead even, consider it done. And make sure you don't dump your samples back in the fermenter or bottles. I usually drink mine.

I drank my sample - it tastes good. Like a rather mild IPA...nice, but probably not hoppy enough for me overall (this is a characteristic of this kit i am reading), but definitely good.

Wort was around 80 degrees when i took my OG, but i accounted for that with my scale included in the hydrometer instructions. I definitely pitched too warm. I was terrified that the beer would be ruined the last 3 weeks, so i was stoked when i tasted it and it actually tasted like an IPA (hopefully this stays true through bottling). It fermented a little warm the first 12-18 hours - around 75 degrees, but i setup a swamp cooler in a tub and got it into the mid 60's for the remainder of the time and it continued to move the airlock for another 4 days.

I did not make a starter (doing that on my next batch - Caribou Slobber), i just pitched the dry yeast that came with the kit. I am pretty sure my volumes were all good. Like i said, i know that it isn't much difference...just wondering what could cause it.

Also, how much can i expect my flavor to change in bottling? If conditioned long enough (planning on at least 3 weeks) should i expect it to taste pretty much like it does post ferment but pre-bottle?

Thanks for the advice!!

Also, how much can i expect my flavor to change in bottling? If conditioned long enough (planning on at least 3 weeks) should i expect it to taste pretty much like it does post ferment but pre-bottle?

Thanks for the advice!!

Glad it's good! Answer to your question depends on a lot of things. But generally I'd say it is a pretty good determiner of the taste post-bottling. If you ever do a beer in which you use something other than plain bottling sugar for bottling, that may affect the flavor (for example, honey, isntead of bottling sugar), then it may taste different. I did one with Peach extract once in place of bottling sugar, which of course made the post bottled beer taste peachy... and like peach.

However ageing can affect as well. I made an orange ale many times, and a month after bottling it tasted pretty much like pre-bottling. BUt 3 more months later, I could actually taste the orange.

Nic

Ageing does interesting things... some times it will mute hop characteristics, some times it will bring them out. Almost all beers seem to improve with time, so I've found.

...nice, but probably not hoppy enough for me overall

when u say no hoppy enough, do u mean not bitter enough, or not enough aroma/flavor? if you want more aroma, you can always dry hop for a week at this point, and bottle after. just a thought.

that kit had the oak chips in it, right? i made one of those a few months ago too. it's definitely more 'english' style than american/west coast. it's definitely milder than i like too but i enjoyed it. just go for it!

when u say no hoppy enough, do u mean not bitter enough, or not enough aroma/flavor? if you want more aroma, you can always dry hop for a week at this point, and bottle after. just a thought.

that kit had the oak chips in it, right? i made one of those a few months ago too. it's definitely more 'english' style than american/west coast. it's definitely milder than i like too but i enjoyed it. just go for it!

yeah it has the chips. so when i bought the kit at my LHBS the guy there who has been doing this forever asked me if i liked more aroma/flavor over bitterness - to which i replied that i did...so he suggested leaving the oak out and adding some cascades to the boil for the last 5 minutes - which i did. it has a nice flavor/aroma but it just isn't as intense as a lot of american IPA's...but still quite nice. very drinkable.

i am a little intimidated by dry hopping on my first real batch and i wanted to avoid secondary really...so i think i am just going to roll with it as is this time, but thanks for the tip.

so since bottling sugar was mentioned. is there really an opinion on what is better? corn sugar or DME for priming? will flavor be affected by either?

I drank my sample - it tastes good. Like a rather mild IPA...nice, but probably not hoppy enough for me overall (this is a characteristic of this kit i am reading), but definitely good.

Wait for it to be carbonated, it will get slightly hoppier.

If the op got 1.018 a couple days in a row,it could well be done. Boiling all the extract from the begining could've created more unfermentable long chain sugars,that sort of thing. It would be one way to account for the higher number. Or he lowered the temp too much & it stalled. .006 points is a significant difference. It just depends on why & how it stopped there.

temps after the first day were between 64-68 the entire time. all extract was boiled the full time. i had no idea about adding it late. i just followed the instructions on the kit.

Boiling all the extract from the begining could be the reason for the higher FG. If it was stable,then you're fine.

Back