I am having a problem with an off flavor I keep getting in my centennial blonde brew. See the post below for details.
It was recommended that I post my brew process and equipment and maybe someone could spot a possible cause.
Here is my brew process, I can go into more detail if you see a possible problem:
1. Heat strike water in large kettle (Aluminum)
2. Heat mash tun (Rubbermaid 10 cooler style) with hot water
3. Crush grains (gap set to approx .035”)
4. Drain hot water from tun, add strike water at predetermined temp
5. Add grains while stirring. Measure temp and close lid on tun.
6. Heat sparge water (batch sparge)
7. Vorlauf and drain first runnings into SS boil kettle
8. Add sparge water and stir
9. Drain remaining volume
10. Heat to rolling boil
11. Add hops at predetermined intervals
12. Added immersion chiller at approx. 10-15mins remaining in boil time
13. Shut off flame at end of boil time
14. Chill to approx. 70 degs
15. Take starting gravity reading
16. Siphon into carboy
17. Pitch rehydrated yeast into carboy
18. Move carboy to “swamp cooler” in dark room, cover from light
19. Wait until airlock activity ceases and take gravity reading
20. 24 hrs later, repeat gravity reading until no change
21. Siphon beer to keg
My equipment is:
Heating kettle: 12gal aluminum kettle
Boil kettle: 8gal SS kettle
Mash tun: 10gal Home Depot round cooler with SS mesh braid
Fermenting vessel: 6.5 gal glass carboy
Chiller: 50' copper IC
Fermenting cooler: Igloo CUBE swamp cooler
Any ideas or questions, I'll be happy to elaborate on what I normall do.