New from Spain and with a question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gallinazorey

Reaction score
Hello eveyone, I live in Spain and have decided to start homebrewing and went for the all grain as my first experience! A friend of mine just opened a restaurant (he is a pro chef) and a dream for him come true, and he wants to start a micro brewery with me to start making our own beer in a year from now after lots of practice...who knows!

Anyway, so I buy an all grain kit for 5 gallons but decide to make only 2 to test it (and my carboy will only hold 2 gallons) of some nafty Pilsener from Bavaria Beer. Its cold here so it will be easier to make a lager at cold temepratures (imposible in Spain in the summer).

So I go to you tube and make a pretty neat mash tun out of a small cooler...works great! did the Iodine test for sugar and all went well.

Now for the hops (and my question)...I weiged the original amount at 100 grams(3.5 oz).
Since the recepie calls for using all the ingridients that came with it, I take out my calculator and throw in 35 grams (1.23 oz) in the mix to make 2 gallons (8 liters).
Remember I am doing this from what I have read or seen on you tube so dont know what to expect, or taiste!! The whole house smells to hops before I knew it and after 1 hour and 15 minutes of boiling (the recepie called for 90 minutes) I succesfully cooled the wart within 15 minutes. When I tasted it I almos fainted! WHOOOA! That is BITTER! My mouth went almost dry! Like I said I dont know what to expect but I am looking at pilsener recepies here in the net and NONE use this much hops!!

Did I screw it up? Its now fermenting at 10 dedrees C (50 F) for a few weeks, but if I am waisting my time please tell me!

I must say when I weighed the hops they were in original packaging airtight...maybe when I opened it it should have weighed less (?) though this makes no sense. Just weighed what I have left and its 71 grams (2.45 oz). Unfortunatly the packaging does not say what kind of hops it is...

Thanks a million guys, I apreciate all you kind feedback.

Kind regards

Didn't you ask about the hops in another post?? I addressed the question there, but in that thread you didn't mention the micro brewery.

I would say that you need to keep things in perspective.
Brewing your first batch, a two gallon one at that, leaves you a very long way from being ready for the financial commitment that you are talking about.
You've got a lot to learn as far as the brewing process, and many batches to brew before you can come up with a great original recipes to put out to the public.
Brewing isn't exactly like making a cake. There is a lot to learn so that you are consistent and make great beer that tastes the same every time.
Coming up with a stable full of original beers that people want to drink takes time after you learn what you are doing.
I would say that when you understand beer making well enough to find a few beers you like and clone them on your own to where you can pass them off as the original, you will be about ready to be a brew master in a micro brewery.

Hello from Spain also, where in Spain are you at? There is very few people from Spain around so if there is anything I can help you with just send a PM.
Cheers and welcome to HBT.

Hi, and thanks for your answer. I could not agree with you more and I believe I did not explain myself well enough....If I start a micro brewery it will be in a years time and maybe even more. That is why I am starting now in small quantities. The reason I did 2 gallons is becuase I bought a 5 gallon kit but did not want to use the whole kit in case I mees up I couls still use the rest for a second round. I agree I am a long way to where I should be.
Thanks for the imput

Hello from Spain also, where in Spain are you at? There is very few people from Spain around so if there is anything I can help you with just send a PM.
Cheers and welcome to HBT.

Hi there! I am in Madrid, and you? Thanks for your kind offer to help!

Currently in Benidorm, I go to Madrid two or three times a year, just got back from there a week ago. Check the Irreale bar a nice option for craft beer.

Back