Glass of Mead - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Glass of Mead

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
K5MOW
 
K5MOW's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Webster, TX
Posts: 406
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



Having a great glass of sweet Mead I made about two years ago.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-604523549.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	83615
__________________
primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
meadmazer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Deweyville, Utah
Posts: 170
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Drinking a cherry mead. One of my goals in life is to make a mead that most of my family likes, instead of barely any.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	83623  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
K5MOW
 
K5MOW's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Webster, TX
Posts: 406
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by meadmazer
Drinking a cherry mead. One of my goals in life is to make a mead that most of my family likes, instead of barely any.
Looks very good.

Roger
__________________
primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Illuveatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
West Side of, the Hand
Posts: 123
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by meadmazer View Post
One of my goals in life is to make a mead that most of my family likes, instead of barely any.
I share this goal. Nearly all of the beers I brew are drank entirely by myself because most members of my family prefer the clear tasteless brews. I'm hoping the 6 gallons of Montmorency Melomel I distribute at Christmas will be well received.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
BrewNoob519
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuveatar

I share this goal. Nearly all of the beers I brew are drank entirely by myself because most members of my family prefer the clear tasteless brews. I'm hoping the 6 gallons of Montmorency Melomel I distribute at Christmas will be well received.
I Constantly run Into the same problem. I usually stuck drinking all my stuff myself. Everyone I know is all about light generic beer. If they don't like the melomel. You can always send it to me :-P. And that glass of cherry looks awesome I opened a bottle I did about a year ago with local cherry and honey and it's easily my favorite so far

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
meadmazer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Deweyville, Utah
Posts: 170
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


This is probly the best batch yet, alot of harshness gone over last year. This one might have a chance of gaining a few more family members, I will find out next Thurs.
Still have 2 bottles left of my second mead ever, gotta be 10 years old now.
Got a couple bottles left of an elderberry that was really harsh for a long time, kinda like a
liquor now tho. Too bad I drank almost all of it already.
I get a couple 16oz fliptops and play playstation each once in a while. Mead and video games go together.

What yeasts are you guys using? My first batches were all about alcohol so in went 1118. Going to try some Safbrew T58 and S33, Notty, US05 in 1 gallon batches of a plain honey mead and do a taste test.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
K5MOW
 
K5MOW's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Webster, TX
Posts: 406
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by meadmazer
This is probly the best batch yet, alot of harshness gone over last year. This one might have a chance of gaining a few more family members, I will find out next Thurs.
Still have 2 bottles left of my second mead ever, gotta be 10 years old now.
Got a couple bottles left of an elderberry that was really harsh for a long time, kinda like a
liquor now tho. Too bad I drank almost all of it already.
I get a couple 16oz fliptops and play playstation each once in a while. Mead and video games go together.

What yeasts are you guys using? My first batches were all about alcohol so in went 1118. Going to try some Safbrew T58 and S33, Notty, US05 in 1 gallon batches of a plain honey mead and do a taste test.
I used D47 for this mead.

Roger
__________________
primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
BrewNoob519
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 9

I second the D47 for most of my meads I'm drinking a bottle of two year old raspberry I did as my first mead and I'm sad to say it's the last one. I have 25 orange and a couple cherry and spice left but sadly I find it hard to no drink them after a year let alone make it to three. I used the 1118 but I found it just a hair. I guess you could say bready. But that could also be my impatience and tendency to drink them before I should getting the best of me. I've never used the notty but iv heard good things.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
meadmazer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Deweyville, Utah
Posts: 170
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Ya forgot about D47, heard good things about it got a pack of that to try also. Funny how I used 1118 alot being that I really dont like champagne much. Wanted high alcohol at first, now I want it to taste good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Goofynewfie
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,613
Liked 314 Times on 207 Posts


My favorite one to use is 1116. I made a strawberry rhubarb with it that all my friends love. It was about 16% and still had good strawberry sweetness to it and finished with a slight rhubarb tartness
__________________
You cant always be young but you can always be immature

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Method to allow reading sight glass below bottom of glass ? DeafSmith Equipment/Sanitation 15 11-27-2013 12:24 AM
Beer in glass bottles... but no glass allowed. fenix424 Bottling/Kegging 10 08-04-2012 03:34 PM
Thoughts on first glass of mead hoppymonkey Mead Forum 10 03-27-2012 11:11 AM
Reattaching glass base to glass ware TheBeerist Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-11-2011 12:12 AM
WTT 2 5 Gallon Glass Carboys, one 15 gallon glass demijohn, one 3 gallon glass carboy runningweird For Sale 3 08-15-2010 02:39 PM


Forum Jump