another high OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
RECIPE:
7lbs extra light LME
1 1/2lbs honey
1lb rice syrup solids
1/2lb honey malt

1oz cascade 60mins
1oz fuggles 10mins

I put the cooled wort of this recipe onto the yeast cake of a previous batch. After dumping the cooled wort, I made my way into the house with my wort-filled primary then I tripped up the stairs of my patio and dumped about a gallon of wort all over myself and the kitchen floor.

After I finished cleaning the mess, I realized that I forgot to grab an OG before I dumped the wort on the yeast. So, I grabbed a reading and it said 1.066 at 74 degrees. I didn't think this was right, so I spun the hydrometer around to keep it from hitting the sides of the cylinder, and got the same reading. I then proceeded to check the hydrometer in tap water and got .998 at 74 degrees.

Am I right in thinking that the amount of yeast that was left in the bottom of the bucket could have caused my OG to read that high? What sort of OG would you expect to see?

simzy said:
RECIPE:
7lbs extra light LME
1 1/2lbs honey
1lb rice syrup solids
1/2lb honey malt

1oz cascade 60mins
1oz fuggles 10mins

I put the cooled wort of this recipe onto the yeast cake of a previous batch. After dumping the cooled wort, I made my way into the house with my wort-filled primary then I tripped up the stairs of my patio and dumped about a gallon of wort all over myself and the kitchen floor.

After I finished cleaning the mess, I realized that I forgot to grab an OG before I dumped the wort on the yeast. So, I grabbed a reading and it said 1.066 at 74 degrees. I didn't think this was right, so I spun the hydrometer around to keep it from hitting the sides of the cylinder, and got the same reading. I then proceeded to check the hydrometer in tap water and got .998 at 74 degrees.

Am I right in thinking that the amount of yeast that was left in the bottom of the bucket could have caused my OG to read that high? What sort of OG would you expect to see?

Sounds ok, you have to do the temp correction so your hydrometer is calculated correctly and 1.066 sounds about right... it depends on different brands of LME and such but that's the general area.

Yeast in the wort will not cause the reading to adjust unless it has started to ferment.

Suspended matter does not change the gravity of a liquid if it does not impede the hydrometer.

Undissolved sugar in water will not increase the gravity. Even if suspended.
Disolved sugar in water will increase the gravity.

Back