To bottle or not to bottle with higher FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigebrewer

Reaction score
I brewed an extract batch of Midwest's Happy Holiday Ale. It has been in primary for 3.5 weeks ( I don't use a secondary generally). This is my 8th batch and I have had no issues to this point.

The gravity had been reading at 1.025 for 5 straight days. The target gravity per Midwest is 1.012- 1.018. I went ahead and brought the fermenter upstairs to see if it needed more heat (although wort temperature was 68) and also stirred the yeast up a little bit to see if that would help finish it off.

That was 5 days ago, and the gravity has not changed at all. How long would it take to be sure that it is not going to finish up after stirring up the yeast? Should I be ok going ahead and bottling at this higher gravity? (the wort tastes just a little sweet but not bad).

You wouldn't happen to be using a refractometer to measure final gravity would you? (If you are search the internet for "refractometer alcohol correction"). 1.025 should taste pretty sweet unless you have a ton of hops. If it really is at 1.025 and you like the taste then prime and bottle.

Using a hydrometer, and it was calibrated right on in water. It is definitely sweeter than I would like but it is tolerable.

If it were me and it's tolerable I would bottle it. But if you want to fix it there are some tricks:
1) pitch a yeast with a higher attenuation. Use a little corn sugar and yeast nurturance to get things going. I've seen LC-1118 fix things this way
2) beano. never tried it, it maybe someone can chime in with viability. It breaks the complex sugars down into simple ones. If this was an extract brew that could very well be your issue. Some extracts are as little as 60% fermentable.
3) make a hop tea and add that to balance out the extra sweetness. Boil the hops for about an hour in a 1.035 wort with DME. Some sugar is required to get the most out of the hops. Again, never tried this, but it makes sense to me.

2) beano. never tried it, it maybe someone can chime in with viability. It breaks the complex sugars down into simple ones. If this was an extract brew that could very well be your issue. Some extracts are as little as 60% fermentable.

I've heard this, too but never tried it. I'll also be curious to hear from anyone who's done this!

Back