PSA- Don't Jump in Front of Trains - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > PSA- Don't Jump in Front of Trains

Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #31
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I could really care less about a fool that wants to off themselves in front of a train. But I can tell you this. It really F's up the engineer's head. Just sayin.
That reminds me of a guy I heard about a few years back. He was in the Navy and was driving down a highway while on liberty. A car was pulled over on the side of the road where a man and a woman were having a heated argument. The woman pushed the guy, presumably not intending to push him into the road, but into the road he went. The guy driving hits the other guy going 70 mph. That apparently f***ed him up pretty bad and he ended up getting a medical discharge so he wouldn't lose his s*** while operating a submarine with 150 lives in his hands. Not suicide, but same idea.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #32
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2484 Times on 1373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Speeding trains, high buildings and huge bridges have higher success rates that even guns. Most people stick the gun in their mouth, bad move if you want to die and/or not live with no way to eat solid food. I've seen some creative suicides, but also many failures, mostly with guns and drugs.
Damn, feeling bad enough to snuff it & then failing to do so when they actually do attempt it? That's enough to give somebody a complex on top of a complex.

Not to start a debate, but maybe there's room in the world for a service to help them snuff it:

Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/ny...tion.html?_r=0

Ok this is just getting stupid. I'm not even complaining that it took me an extra half hour to get home last night. I just dont understand how a person can get themselves in a situation in which they are falling off a train. Also, I am relatively certain that there are NYPD patrolling the 125th st. station in a booth. What makes getting into a fight on the platform seem like a wise thing to do??

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/ny...tion.html?_r=0

Ok this is just getting stupid. I'm not even complaining that it took me an extra half hour to get home last night. I just dont understand how a person can get themselves in a situation in which they are falling off a train. Also, I am relatively certain that there are NYPD patrolling the 125th st. station in a booth. What makes getting into a fight on the platform seem like a wise thing to do??
Sounds to me like they need to put a toilet on the train, oh wait the train travels thru a toilet, never mind.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY

Its always adorable when people in Chicago disparage New York. Its like watching a small child with a cardboard sword pretend to slay a dragon.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #36
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

I would take NY over the second class city any day.

Besides I wasn't the one trying to defecate between two train cars and I lost my balance and killed myself. My point if there had been a toilet on the train, he wouldn't have fell.

I hope the guy wore clean underwear that day.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY

Seriously though... its not like getting hit by a car. Its pretty difficult to get hit by a train. Why does it happen so often?!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #38
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Just happened again. Thankfully I had the desk so I'm leaving!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 140 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Its pretty difficult to get hit by a train. Why does it happen so often?!
Put down the smart phone, take off/out the ear phones, reconnect with the world.

Is it all that often? An article I read said 55 people died from being struck by subway train in NYC. How many people ride them and or are exposed to them in one year time?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Put down the smart phone, take off/out the ear phones, reconnect with the world.

Is it all that often? An article I read said 55 people died from being struck by subway train in NYC. How many people ride them and or are exposed to them in one year time?
You're right, its a miniscule number percentagewise, but 55 is still an awful high number when you realize that a train cant skid or veer or lose control of its steering and get you. You have to actually fall or jump several feet onto a rather wide track.