Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #481
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1331 Times on 887 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepipesarecall
Alright so I baked the vials with the glycerin/water solution in them and lost about 1/3 the volume, not a problem as I overfilled them (in the proper ratio) to accomodate for this. My only issue is that it appears the white seal under the caps has disfigured under the heat, will this present a program for long term storage? Also, is a freezer-safe thick Rubbermain container satisfactory for freezer storage?
Yeah, melted caps will be a problem. Is the rubbermade container insulated?

Also, you no longer have a solution in the same ratio you originally had, because everything that boiled off was straight water.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #482
thepipesarecall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alrighty then, I suppose I'll try the baking method again, sealing the vials this time to prevent damage to said seal, although it may crack the vials as you said MalFet.

The container is not insulated (neither the grocery store or CVS had the zippered/insulated boxes), but it is made of some fairly thick plastic, says Freezer Safe on the bottom?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #483
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepipesarecall View Post
Alrighty then, I suppose I'll try the baking method again, sealing the vials this time to prevent damage to said seal, although it may crack the vials as you said MalFet.

The container is not insulated (neither the grocery store or CVS had the zippered/insulated boxes), but it is made of some fairly thick plastic, says Freezer Safe on the bottom?
If the seals melted when the vials were open, there's no reason to think they won't melt again when closed.

Tupperware plastic is typically a fairly poor insulator. Put some hot water into it and see how long it takes for the exterior to warm up.

I wish you luck, but you aren't the first person who tried to come up with an alternative to the pressure cooker. To my knowledge nobody has been successful. The cost of bake-safe sealable vials in any quantity is quickly going to outstrip the $30 a pressure cooker will cost you. If you don't pay your own utility bills, tyndallization might be cost effective. But, going that route, I'd want to plate out a few samples to make sure I was actually seeing true sterility.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #484
stunsm
Recipes 

I know I'm coming in late to the game, but I've been using a slightly different technique that has saved some time, although requires different equipment. I happened to have a large pack of sterile 10mL vacutainers and an inoculation gun kicking around, so I poured about 35 mL of glycerin into a few flasks, tossed those in the pressure cooker, cooled off, then poured the contents of a Wyeast smack pack into each one. After a hearty shake (and a good shake after every pump to keep it well mixed), I dialed the gun down to 9mL per actuation and started the process, only takes a few minutes to fill about 16 vials per pack. 2 days in the fridge, then a good shake and into the freezer they go. I've had extremely vigorous fermentation with every tube I've used (thaw in the fridge for a day, pitch to a 250 mL starter/stir plate for a day, then to a 1L starter for a day or two), and no contamination issues as of yet. The only issue I've had so far is that, if I don't tape up the stopper when I thaw, the back pressure will pop it off in the fridge.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #485
Seamus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
I can't think of any reason this would be a problem, other than being bulkier to store. That said, if you've already got the big tubes, why not use more solution and slurry?
Great thanks. I'll move down to smaller tubes when I need more but I have 30+ so might be a while.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #486
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

AWESOME!!!just getting ready to start this and came across this thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #487
maxoldo
Recipes 

One thing I don't understand, why Starsan is enough to SANITIZE EVERY STEP of the beer making but won't cut it when it comes to yeast storage? Also, if Glycerin sold in pharmacies, shouldn’t it be sterile or clean enough(USP grade) to suffice right out of a container?
Think this, we can easily store bottled beer for a year in cool or fridge temp, but CAN’T store yeast FROZEN with the same sanitizing technics for the same amount of time? I don't want to offend anyone, just trying to think logically.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #488
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxoldo
One thing I don't understand, why Starsan is enough to SANITIZE EVERY STEP of the beer making but won't cut it when it comes to yeast storage? Also, if Glycerin sold in pharmacies, shouldn’t it be sterile or clean enough(USP grade) to suffice right out of a container?
Think this, we can easily store bottled beer for a year in cool or fridge temp, but CAN’T store yeast FROZEN with the same sanitizing technics for the same amount of time? I don't want to offend anyone, just trying to think logically.
It is an issue of proportions. StarSan does not kill everything, but thats okay in general brewing circumstances. A small population of bacteria won't be able to spoil a beer if it is vastly outnumbered by a large population of yeast. It gets out-competed, and ends up in a stressful high alcohol environment before it has a chance to bred to sufficient numbers.

When freezing, however, we're dealing with small numbers of yeast cells being stored for a long time. If the yeast doesn't get a sufficient head-start, even a relatively small initial bacteria population can proliferate.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #489
maxoldo
Recipes 

Quote:
It is an issue of proportions. StarSan does not kill everything, but thats okay in general brewing circumstances. A small population of bacteria won't be able to spoil a beer if it is vastly outnumbered by a large population of yeast. It gets out-competed, and ends up in a stressful high alcohol environment before it has a chance to bred to sufficient numbers.

When freezing, however, we're dealing with small numbers of yeast cells being stored for a long time. If the yeast doesn't get a sufficient head-start, even a relatively small initial bacteria population can proliferate.
But isn’t it the same for a vial? If the ratio of vial mix is 50% yeast, 25% water and 25% glycerin, wouldn’t this be true to these proportions?
Just imagine a fermenter half-full of pure yeast, what chance of survival a tiny colony of nasty bacteria has?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #490
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

plus bacteria grow much faster than yeast and generally withstand freezing better. Therefore when thawing, if you have a tiny bit of bacteria compared to a larger amount of yeast, the bacteria can take off quicker with exponential growth. When you pitch into your 5 gal of wort, you pitch several folds more yeast that are already primed to grow as opposed to ones that are coming out of freezing