mendocino county hops suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyinsonoma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im about in the mood to start tilling up some soil and laying some compost down to over winter and i was going to start arranging the garden. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for our warmer summers and colder winters for hops selection. I know the year is going to have an amazing finish soon by massive rains and long hard winter without any water all year (inference) so im thinking i better get on it now.

Im looking for some strains specifically i want to try but id love to try some people around my area (assuming there are some) have found work well. Im inclined to think sonoma county may be similar inland but our weather is almost always more extreme, heat and cold levels. I also get snow @ 2400 ft. However, magically i grow peaches in my garden! So im very unsure what will work since most of my friends nearby can not grow peaches.

Any ideas? Im liking kolsch, pale ale, ipa, and ive had a chocolate dunkel lager i liked too. Obviously someone who works in a citra field needs to hook a brotha up! Definitely a lucky 13 fan! Looking for both bittering and aroma hops to enjoy. Thanks!

What I found growing hops is that they grow like most weeds without much hassle, in most places. I grow 9 different varieties without much problems. Some tend to get a little difficult compared to others but in the end they all grow and produce just fine. Give them time.

From your beer likes, I would try Chinook and or Centennial for the IPAs, they both grow well and produce a lot. For your German beers and Lagers I would go with Hallertau. It's a great all around hop and can't go wrong for any german style. Spalt, Tetnager, Northern Brewer maybe other german options but Hallertau does well in the US.

beerloaf

Back