Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjtahoe26

Reaction score
So last week I bottled a batch of witbier with orange peel and coriander, wort and pre-bottled product tasted fantastic! Added about 3/4 cup of priming sugar (pretty standard for all my batches) and bottled. I always get anxious and taste one bottle 5 days after bottling. This time was different though. It is RIDICULOUSLY bubbly. I haven't blown any caps (YET) but the beer is so carbonated, way more than usual. This was a 5 gallon batch, 1.067 OG, 1.015 FG, 6.9% ABV by my math. I used Wyeast 3944 witbier strain. For the sake of explanation, I am absolutely neurotic about contamination and cleanliness (to the point where my friends say it's hard to brew with me because I hound them so much about sanitizing!).

Thoughts? Will this ease up with conditioning? Thinking of scaling back priming sugar moving forward but wanted to get everyone's take.

Thanks ladies and gents!

Back