Mead bite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgr2973

Reaction score
I have recently made a batch of mead ( 6 gallons )that currently is racked to a secondary. And has been racked for about four months now. Today using a wine thief I grabbed some out and tasted it. The initial taste are like a semi sweet dry wine but it has a bite to it. It kinda burns the back of the throat like citrus. My question is how do I get rid of it

Time....

Did you use nutrients during fermentation? That can shorten the aging time, but often meads need many months, if not years to achieve a smooth flavor.

AZ_IPA said:
Time....

Did you use nutrients during fermentation? That can shorten the aging time, but often meads need many months, if not years to achieve a smooth flavor.

I did use nutrients in the primary. Do you thinks it will smooth out or am I just outta luck

How much honey did you use, what kind of yeast did you use, and what temp did you ferment at?

I'm guessing it will smooth out with age.

AZ_IPA said:
How much honey did you use, what kind of yeast did you use, and what temp did you ferment at?

I'm guessing it will smooth out with age.

I used about 15 lbs of honey. The yeast was a lalvin 71-122 and fermented at 65-75 degrees

One thing that I have found does smooth out that bite. Sometimes quite a bit is Oak. I did a test between non-oaked and oaked doing exactly the same with both and the oaked won hands down. Sounds like this is still in the carboy. Just take 1 oz of lightly toasted oak, or medium toast is good too and put it in a hops bag and drop it in. Possibly a couple of marbles to send it to the bottom as the oak will float. Then leave in for about a month. When you take it out, let it age another 2 months before bottling and drinking. New mead typically has that harsh back bite but it does age out and Oak helps it age a bit quicker and smoother.

I use Oak chips but oak cubes (sometimes called beans), or staves are ok too. I use american oak but there are other options: French oak and Hungarian oak. I am also experimenting with bamboo leaves.

Hope this works out for you.

Matrix

Matrix4b said:
One thing that I have found does smooth out that bite. Sometimes quite a bit is Oak. I did a test between non-oaked and oaked doing exactly the same with both and the oaked won hands down. Sounds like this is still in the carboy. Just take 1 oz of lightly toasted oak, or medium toast is good too and put it in a hops bag and drop it in. Possibly a couple of marbles to send it to the bottom as the oak will float. Then leave in for about a month. When you take it out, let it age another 2 months before bottling and drinking. New mead typically has that harsh back bite but it does age out and Oak helps it age a bit quicker and smoother.

I use Oak chips but oak cubes (sometimes called beans), or staves are ok too. I use american oak but there are other options: French oak and Hungarian oak. I am also experimenting with bamboo leaves.

Hope this works out for you.

Matrix

I am def going to try the oak chips thanks for the advice and I am curious how the bamboo leaves work out

Back