Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrslund

Reaction score
So I made an all grain IPA and forgot to add Irish moss during the boil. Since I don't typically add Irish Moss I just forgot about it. Just finished carbonating yesterday and poured my first beer which was very cloudy. Can I add Irish miss directly to my keg (assuming I boil it for a minute or so to sterilize)?

You don't really want to add irish moss to the cold keg. Gelatin would be a much better choice at this point. Grab a packet of unflavored gelatin from the grocery store and dump about 1/2 of that puppy in there. It'll coagulate the proteins in about 24-36 hours. Just remember that your first pour is going to have alot of solids, so just dump that first pour.

BTW, you may just have a chill haze to your beer at this point. Even with irish moss in the boil, the beer needs about 10-14 days at serving temps before the chill haze starts to clear, so you may just want to be patient and this one will clear up. If you don't want to wait, do the gelatin!

Good luck!

The longer you let it sit in the keg, my experience is that the stuff settles out more and comes out with the first pours. Gelatin will definitely help, though.

Nope, IM needs ro be boiled with the beer to coagulate proteins. It's not a big deal....time and cold temps will clear the beer.

I have not used irish moss in any of my beers so far and after about 2 weeks in the fridge they are usually very clear. Even my wheat turned out crystal clear (that's what I get for using WLP001 I guess).

I was recently gifted some whirlfoc and will be trying it in my next few brews.

Back