Belgian Tripel and Using O2 for Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1854huwer

Reaction score
I’m very new in brewing beer and have a question regarding the fermentation process.
I just brewed my 3rd batch of beer and decided to brew a Belgian Tripel. I decided to purchase an aerating stone for this batch and off course oxygen.
The entire brewing process went without any issues. When it came to using the air stone, I thought I recalled reading or seeing a video that said 10 seconds of O2 was all that I needed, but since I close the lid on the primary fermenter, I have read that you aerate with O2 you should add anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes of O2 to your wort.
Obviously I’m a little concern after 3 days that I may not achieve the appropriate final gravity.

The airlock is showing signs of process, but it did take 30 hours before any sign of CO2 coming through the airlock.

My question is, if I don’t achieve the expected final gravity as indicated on the kit instructions, is it worth moving forward with the batch of beer, since it could take up to one year before its drinkable?

Side questions:
What are your thoughts on the length of time in a primary fermenter for a Belgian Tripel?
If a secondary fermenter is used, what length of is optimal and at what temperature?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Doug

Don't worry about the oxygenation, with 30 seconds of pure O2 you probably gave it much more aeration than 90% of homebrewers (myself included).

If it were me, I'd leave it in primary for a month then bottle it up. Others made have other suggestions.

not sure why you think it would take a year to be drinkable

I usually do 60 seconds of pure O2. But Oxygen is not the most important factor. Often you can get sufficient oxygen just by shaking the fermenter or splashing the wort as it's transferred from the pot to the fermenter. Much more important would be the yeast pitch. How much yeast and what shape it was in when you pitched it. Also the fermentation temps will have a big effect.

I'd let it sit in the primary until you reach the FG. Could be a week could be a month. It all depends on the yeast and how you manage them.

Don't worry about the oxygenation, with 30 seconds of pure O2 you probably gave it much more aeration than 90% of homebrewers (myself included).

If it were me, I'd leave it in primary for a month then bottle it up. Others made have other suggestions.

Actually the amount of time I gased with O2 was only 10 seconds ....

You may end up with a slightly higher FG with the amount of O2 you added, but I wouldn't worry about. If anything it will be a bit sweeter than a typical Tripel, but may end up being very tasty.
The length of time in the fermentor can depend on a number of things. Like what yeast strain you used, what the temperature was during fermentation, how much healthy yeast you pitched, OG, etc. Being very general here, I'd say that for a typical Tripel with a OG around 1.080, fermented from 68-72, with the recommended yeast pitch rate the primary fermentation should take two weeks. But, another week may be needed to drop the last few gravity points(this is where raising the temp of the fermentor helps).
If a secondary is used, I'd say let it sit for 3-5 weeks, giving your total fermentation 6-8 weeks. For temps, almost anything under 75F will work, but I like it colder. I "lager" my Tripel for 3-4 weeks at 45F, which helps clear the yeast. And then I add some yeast at bottling to get carbonation.

Like maida7 said the oxygen itself isn't as important as shaking and splashing. I always use oxygen for at least 30 seconds and then shake for at least 45 seconds. The 45 seconds of shaking is on the advice from Owen Lingley from Wyeast.
This video has a ton of information about yeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure why you think it would take a year to be drinkable

I usually do 60 seconds of pure O2. But Oxygen is not the most important factor. Often you can get sufficient oxygen just by shaking the fermenter or splashing the wort as it's transferred from the pot to the fermenter. Much more important would be the yeast pitch. How much yeast and what shape it was in when you pitched it. Also the fermentation temps will have a big effect.

I'd let it sit in the primary until you reach the FG. Could be a week could be a month. It all depends on the yeast and how you manage them.

I used White Labs WLP530 ... The temperature has spiked here today and the primary has ranged from 72-75F. I got home from work tonight the airlock had krausen in it and some on on the top of the lid...

Wlp530 = blowoff

I had my quad a couple weeks ago at 80 plus for 3 weeks after a couple days in the mid 60's . A truly hulk of a yeast. Even in the 60's with only splashing and shaking the blowoff was phenomenal.

I used White Labs WLP530 ... The temperature has spiked here today and the primary has ranged from 72-75F. I got home from work tonight the airlock had krausen in it and some on on the top of the lid...

Did you make the appropriate sized starter for the yeast?

with 530 I like to start in the mid 60's and let it rise over naturally to the low 70's then hold it at that temp until it's fully fermented.

If you started the ferment warm (mid 70's and up) then you may end up with more on a harsh alcohol flavor. And a spicy phenolic solventy character. Neither of these will dissipate with age.

But it still could turn out awesome so RDWHAHB :mug:

Your lag time is probably from an underpitch instead of the short O2. I'd recommend reading some threads about pitch rates and making starters.

Did you make the appropriate sized starter for the yeast?

with 530 I like to start in the mid 60's and let it rise over naturally to the low 70's then hold it at that temp until it's fully fermented.

If you started the ferment warm (mid 70's and up) then you may end up with more on a harsh alcohol flavor. And a spicy phenolic solventy character. Neither of these will dissipate with age.

But it still could turn out awesome so RDWHAHB :mug:

Thanks for the information. Heat wave in the North East forced me to put the fermentor in the basement. Looks to be too high currently.

Back