Mullberry mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpf82

Reaction score
I have a mulberry tree/bush growing in my yard and I was wondering if anybody has experimented with mulberries in a mead? I found a few recipes on here, but just looking for any help anybody can offer.

thanks in advance!

Im making a sweet mulberry wine now, but am planning a morat. With all the mulberries that fall, I figure why not? They make awesome jam too! I have been pickeng them off the tree but might be worth putting down a tarp an letting them fall. Selecting the ripe ones and letting the others ripen. If you are to make it, maybe use 5lbs mulberries crush and add 2 quarts water and tsp. Of pectic enzyme. Let sit 4 or 5 days stirring daily then add the strained juice to your honey/water mix. Good luck!

I have 8-10 pounds of frozen mulberries from my mulberry tree's harvest last year. The cedar waxwings got them all this year. I also have just harvested wildflower honey from my backyard beehive, so I'm ready to go with a mulberry mead. Looking forward to any information that may show up here.

I have 8-10 pounds of frozen mulberries from my mulberry tree's harvest last year. The cedar waxwings got them all this year. I also have just harvested wildflower honey from my backyard beehive, so I'm ready to go with a mulberry mead. Looking forward to any information that may show up here.

That's awesome that you are making a mead completely with homegrown ingredients.

Early season honey, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a little lighter in color and flavor than later in the season right?

I might recommend making a nice tradition mead with just the honey (water, yeast and nutrients too obviously) let that finish the primary fermentation, be nice to it with aeration, staggered nutrients and temperature control. Then rack it onto your mulberries in secondary, that way you get the most of your own honey and berries in flavor, color and aroma. (adding some pectic enzyme in there probably would be beneficial too).

Since they are already frozen youre already half way through the best way to process them, maybe thaw, refreeze, re-thaw them, help break down some membranes so you get the most out of them flavor wise. Also won't need to worry about sanitizing/sterilizing them after that either itll be done.

Sounds like it could be amazing.

definitely go with just the mulberrry juice. the skins and stems make an off-flavor, sort of bitter and oxidized.

freeze, thaw, mash, and strain. or use a steam juice extractor if you have one.

regards,

robin850

Latest posts

Back