What do you use as a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil1747

Reaction score
I am new to this whole game and really enjoying it me and a few buddies are all doing small batch ~5 gal brews and i am looking to going bigger, i have everything i need except a bigger fermenter. I dont want to use 3, 6 gal carboys because i will have 3 different beers no matter how accurate everything is. I want to know what people are using as a fermenter and how much you have into them? anyone using another keg? I have no problem getting a few friends and finishing another one off and doing some altercations to it. Thank you any input would be helpful and if you see this posted in a few other areas sorry just trying to get some input

a lot of people who go bigger use conical fermenters. there's a thread here somewhere about super-cheap HDPE conicals based on water tanks from a farm supply.

I put 6.5-7 gallons into 1/4 bbl kegs (tall sanke kegs) for my 'normal' batch size (filling two 3 gallon kegs at the end). I've also used a 50L sanke keg to ferment about 10 gallons to fill three kegs. If you want to get enough out to fill two (or three) 5 gallon corny kegs, then I would go with a 1/2 bbl sanke keg and use Fermcap in the batch. You should be able to ferment close to 15 gallons that way, getting about 14 out at the end (maybe a bit more). You can either go real simple and use a large universal bung in the opening or an orange carboy cap (to use CO2 to push the finished beer out at the end). Or you can get one of the sanke fermented kits from Brewer's Hardware.

Search your local craigslist for people selling kegs, or hit up ebray. I know of a local source for kegs that are 100% legit/legal. You might be able to find one in your area too.

I use 6.5 gallon buckets. If I were you I'd buy another bucket or two, and try different yeasts for each fermenter, you can get two different styles for each brew day.

One problem you might run into with a large fermenter is controlling the temp. That much beer is going to generate a lot of heat.

I do 10 gal batches (so collect 11ish from the boil) Pitch into two separate 7.9 gallon buckets with different yeast strains in each one. It helps you perfect recipes much more quickly.

I usually brew 10 gallons and use 2 6 gallon fermenters and add a different yeast to each. That way, you can see how the yeast effects the beer. The beer is exactly the same, the only difference is the yeast strain

I hate to be "that guy" but it should be pointed out:
Fermenter: yeast
Fermentor: vessel

Ported Better Bottles. I have a siphon free system and love it. I have a 50L euro sanke that might soon become a fermentor. Might long term a wine in it first.

TheBeerist said:

I don't hate to be "that guy", so I'll point out that if you hated being "that guy", then you wouldn't have been "that guy." :D

I usually brew 12 gal batches, and while I do have some 1/2 bbl sankey kegs that are perfect for fermenting batches this size, I usually prefer to split it up into multiple smaller fermentors. They're easier to maneuver, easier to control temps and it reduces temp stratification, but the main reason for me is that I like to use different yeasts or dry hop with different hops for true side by side comparisons. I mostly use kegs, typically either 4 gal each in 3 sixtels (corny or sankey) or 6 gal each in two 1/4 bbl sankeys.

I don't hate to be "that guy", so I'll point out that if you hated being "that guy", then you wouldn't have been "that guy." :D

Ha!

Split and do yeast experiments (great for finding the nuances of different strains)

Or just ferment in your brew kettle (that's what I do)...the stainless makes temp control really easy.

Thank you to everyone with this i think this thread is really going to help some people that are newer to home brewing grow a bit, i never thought about trying different yeasts with the same beer to se how it changes, i also never knew about the hpde conicals, so thank you everyone for the input and i hope i get more. As for TheBeerist you didn't help at all, even with being "that guy" i have a feeling you still brew your own beer and and unless you are using the little Mr. Beer kit you have a feremntOr and could have made a positive contribution to this thread.

At our last club meeting the host brewed a 15 gallon batch. He has an awesome brew sculpture capable of a 30 gallon boil and 3 separate walk-in coolers (one dedicated to fermenting) but he still split it up into 3 plastic buckets.

My LHBS owner gives away the 15gal drums that he gets LME in. I have 2 and while it takes a fair effort to get all the remaining LME out, they work great! I did my most recent batch of Imperial Red in one--beautiful, clean ferment!

Fermenter can be the vessel as well. Many breweries, publications, manufacturers etc call the vessel a fermenter. I do agree that the yeast should be "er" not "or".

--That guy

Fermenter can be the vessel as well. Many breweries, publications, manufacturers etc call the vessel a fermenter.

Just because someone who SHOULD know how to write calls it a fermenter, doesn't make it correct.

fermenter
World English Dictionary
ferment

— n
1. any agent or substance, such as a bacterium, mould, yeast, or enzyme, that causes fermentation
2. another word for fermentation
3. commotion; unrest

— vb
4. to undergo or cause to undergo fermentation
5. to stir up or seethe with excitement

[C15: from Latin fermentum yeast, from fervēre to seethe]

I have a variety-6.5 gallon buckets, glass carboys(6.5 and 5 gallon) and a 12.2 gallon stainless conical. All of them work well when used properly, but the glass one see a lot less use than the others.

4 buckets, 6.5g each. I wish I had a large FV sometimes, but I rarely get 10g. of beer at a time. I should probably save my money for other probably-unnecessary brewery items I'm sure to spend it on...

Two 15 gallon barrels, four 6.5 gallon carboys, a 7.5 gallon bucket, and 1/4 barrel sanke.

Sanke will see its maiden ferment in two weeks.

Back