hop teas and boiling extract syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenjammin

Reaction score
I'm doing an extract kit from NB, it's the double ipa. the directions say to use a hop tea, just water and hopes for the bittering addition and an addition at the 30 minute mark. This is supposed to be boiling while the wort is boiling. so I have a few questions, namely why boil all that extract (12lbs) for a full 60 minutes if i'm not adding bittering hops? Also, what is to be gained from using this hop tea, will i really get much more bitterness from the tea as opposed to the traditional boil?

I'm of a mind to either not use the hop tea and do the normal 60 minute boil OR not boil the wort any more than necessary for the hops (as in, the last 10 minute addition) while boiling the hop tea as directed.

thoughts?

Rather puzzling as the IBU level in waiter is limited to about 100. If you just make a tea and then dilute it in the wort, you won't have anywhere near the normal bittering level for a DIPA.

below are the directions. They don't make any sense to me, i don't see the logic, but maybe i'm missing something.

5. prepare the hop tea. while the grain is steeping and the wort is being brought to a boil, collect two to three quarts of water in the hop tea pot and bring to a boil you should be boiling both the hop tea and the wort at the same time

6. bring the wort to a boil and add 12lbs malt syrup. remove the kettle and stir in the syrup.

7. return the wort to boi. after this point you will add the first two hop additions to the hop tea pot instead of the kettle and add the remaining hop additions to you kettle according to the schedule below.

-1oz summit to hop tea pot for 60 minutes, boil.
-1oz centennial to the hop tea pot for 30 minute boil.

Back