Racking on a yeast cake. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Racking on a yeast cake.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
joshstokes122
Recipes 

Apr 2011
, MI
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Do you really just rack right into a vessel that you just emptied and left the yeast cake?

No cleaning/sanitizing the vessel or moving the yeast to a different vessel?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Yes, the fementer had beer in it....so if the previous beer wasn't infected, this one will be fine.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
crisputer
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Dayton, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Yes, the fementer had beer in it....so if the previous beer wasn't infected, this one will be fine.
What if your using the no chill method? Could the opposite be done by dumping the cake in the beer once it has cooled to pitching temps? I was thinking that on brew day during the mash process I could keg a beer, seal the container with the cake and put it back in the fermentation chamber and use it the next day once the new beer has cooled by pouring it in instead of pitching new yeast. Any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
tdogg
Recipes 

Feb 2011
minneapolis, MN
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisputer View Post
What if your using the no chill method? Could the opposite be done by dumping the cake in the beer once it has cooled to pitching temps? I was thinking that on brew day during the mash process I could keg a beer, seal the container with the cake and put it back in the fermentation chamber and use it the next day once the new beer has cooled by pouring it in instead of pitching new yeast. Any thoughts about this? Thanks!
That should work fine. A better method might be;

1. rack finished beer into keg/secondary
2. Wash the yeast cake, or just move it to a sanitized container like a jar or a soda bottle
3. wash/ sanitize fermenter
4. transfer new wort into fermenter, wait for it to cool if using "no chill" method
5. add yeast

Ive done it both ways and both have advantages. FWIW I do NOT do the "no chill" method.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
crisputer
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Dayton, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg View Post
That should work fine. A better method might be;

1. rack finished beer into keg/secondary
2. Wash the yeast cake, or just move it to a sanitized container like a jar or a soda bottle
3. wash/ sanitize fermenter
4. transfer new wort into fermenter, wait for it to cool if using "no chill" method
5. add yeast

Ive done it both ways and both have advantages. FWIW I do NOT do the "no chill" method.
Ok. I should be able to do this then right?. Flame out, cover pot, wait till the next day for pitching temps and then drain wort from pot onto yeast cake. Correct?

The main reason I do BIAB and no chill is for simplicity. Ok, I'm really just lazy but it does work well for me. Now I'm trying to make it even easier by not having to clean the container I racked from the day before is all. Not just to cut costs but time and effort as well.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Coastie
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Smithfield, Virginia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisputer View Post
... wait till the next day for pitching temps and then drain wort from pot onto yeast cake. Correct?
I wouldn't let wort sit around overnight. You would really risk getting some funky stuff getting in there.
In the fermenter:Empty

My BeerSmith Recipes.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Biscostew
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Annandale, NJ
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just did this today racked off the yeast cake prior to starting my brew then left about a cm of the old wort on the yeast than racked the new beer right on top of the cake. Didn't sanitize just pitched. Fermenting like crazy right now!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Ramitt
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Bloomington, Indiana
Liked 69 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
I wouldn't let wort sit around overnight. You would really risk getting some funky stuff getting in there.
Seems to be fine, down under it is pretty comon from what I gather. Do some googling.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
joshstokes122
Recipes 

Apr 2011
, MI
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Is this a technique better done on a yeast cake from a primary or secondary?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
pjk49202
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Parker, CO, Colorado
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Is this a technique better done on a yeast cake from a primary or secondary?
Primary