Yeast from Nov. 2011 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast from Nov. 2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
tmd49
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Janesville, WI
Posts: 30


Bought some Northwest ale yeast that has a date of 11-2011 on the package. Brewing this week and can't decide if I should use it. I made a starters his past weekend and it is now chilling in the fridge. It looks fine, I am concerned about vitality and taste.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd49 View Post
Bought some Northwest ale yeast that has a date of 11-2011 on the package. Brewing this week and can't decide if I should use it. I made a starters his past weekend and it is now chilling in the fridge. It looks fine, I am concerned about vitality and taste.
If it looks fine and smells fine and grew in the starter, it is fine.


__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
aryoung1980
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 535
Liked 87 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

if it looks fine and smells fine and grew in the starter, it is fine.
+1

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,352
Liked 1511 Times on 1243 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
If it looks fine and smells fine and grew in the starter, it is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980 View Post
+1
That is; if you made a proper sized starter based upon the date of the yeast.
mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com would give the size needed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
tmd49
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Janesville, WI
Posts: 30

Brewed 5-12 and the 1332 took off nicely. It's been three days since I pitched and my basement smells wonderful. I can say that it smelled and looked like beer in my flask.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump