The big squeezes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
I've read various threads on this issue but I'm a little slow. When I brewed my extract Wit I had three opportunities to squeeze extra wort out of something:

1 - The specialty grains bag when removed at boil.

2 - The hops bag at the end of the boil.

3 - The paint-bucket strainer after the wort was poured into the bucket, leaving a large quantity of sludge behind.

Should these each be allowed to drip into the next phase (#1 into the boil, #2&3 into the bucket), squeezed into the next phase, or removed immediately?

i dont think the first 2 matter much (at least to me imho). but #3 i would not recommend squeezing into the bucket. you risk having some off flavors.

#1: fine so long as the temp is 170 or below, I squeeze the snot out of mine with no issues.

#2, no problem, just gettin' the wort out.

#3, probably ok, but you will be getting extra debris in there, I wouldn't bother. I'd probably just hold it up and let it drip for a minute.

Yeah you're fine to squeeze anything you want, providing it's not like actively boiling or suuuper hot. But as Strambo says, watch you don't squeeze debris out.

Grain or hop squeezing is totally fine, I've only heard possible thoughts of it being bad above 170F or so, but that may be bunk as well. That's too hot to squeeze, for your hands, anyways ;)

I am the polar opposite of a hop-head so I'm not likely to try to get every last bit of liquid out of the hops bag.

Latest posts

Back