What to do with bourbon peaches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odnetni

Reaction score
I have a few jars of bourbon peaches from a local orchard (Halved, skinned peaches preserved in a bourbon and sugar syrup, with ascorbic acid) and I'm looking for some ideas on how to use them. They're mild and sweet with just a hint of bourbon. I'm thinking of adding the syrup they come packed in to a wit or hefewiezen before fermentation and the peaches in secondary. Thoughts?

On top of ice cream. Under a cobbler or crumble. I think the subtle flavor will get lost in a beer.

I love fruit beers but I think you would get the same or better beer adding plain old peaches and bourbon to a secondary. Whereas you could use the jarred peaches in something lke a pie, dumplings, homemade ice cream, more bourbon, etc where you would get more out of something that sounds pretty unique.

If the jarred peaches are as easy and cheap to get as plain old peaches then it wouldn't hurt anything to give it a try. The usual fruit recommendation is to start around 1lb per gallon added to the secondary and adjust to taste.

I am not sure how to get the most out of the syrup without it just adding sweetness. I wonder how much character it would retain if it was used as the priming agent at bottling/kegging.

i'll tell you what not to do. don't make a cobbler, because the alcohol evaporates in the oven, ignites, blows the door off and burns the hair off your dog's face. then your poodle looks gayer than he already does, and your wife fears that you will blow her up more than she already does.

Back