Anyone have tbis set up for mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Just made this mash tun. I have one that I like but I wanna start making two beers at a time so figured I'd need two tuns and two pots so here it is... 50 quart Coleman extreme wheeled cooler. Does anyone have this cooler is it good or bad? I dunno about the shape and inside layout. Here's mine.

image-2586746320.jpg

Attachments

• image-4012574040.jpg
    image-4012574040.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 721
  • image-171420935.jpg
    image-171420935.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 740
I have one pretty much identical to that, works pretty much flawlessly... the only issue I've had is with the mesh hose floating... just FYI

I have an almost identical cooler, except the drain is recessed.

My mesh SS hose is also an oval, but I ended up cobbling together two 12" SS hoses with a brass nipple joint in between. I ran coiled copper wire through the mesh to prevent it from being crushed. I think the wire and joint also make the mesh heavy enough that it doesn't float away on me.

Just made this mash tun. I have one that I like but I wanna start making two beers at a time so figured I'd need two tuns and two pots so here it is... 50 quart Coleman extreme wheeled cooler. Does anyone have this cooler is it good or bad? I dunno about the shape and inside layout. Here's mine.

View attachment 52138

Not, bad but you typically don't want the hose around the outside only. It would be better to have it in the middle to prevent channeling. Get some stainless steel wire and build "hooks" to pull the hose closer to itself on both sides...hard to explain, but that's what I do.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

I use a coleman for 10 gallon batches with a cpvc manifold it it holds temps great. Just pre warm the cooler with hot water. If you are batch sparging, then that should work fine. No worry's of channeling.:)

Question, how does wiry go into the tubes? Does the tubes have hole drilled into side or top it bottom? Help, pretty please, trying to go all grain with stuffs I already had at home.

You take the tube out of the middle of the meat so it's just an empty mush sleeve. So should I cut some off and make smaller and weigh it down?

I've also heard some people drill a hole in the lid and add a foam or filler to make the top more insulated. Anyone try that?

I've also heard some people drill a hole in the lid and add a foam or filler to make the top more insulated. Anyone try that?

I only get 3 degrees of loss at 45 ambient so I haven't worried about that. Maybe for next winter. I have read that if you use the canned foam you need to drill several holes to insert the foam and then add a little, let it cure then add some more and so on and so on, otherwise the middle stays mushy.

You can just wrap the tun in a blanket.

Back