Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #2451
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatbagel View Post
looking to get into the brew game via the 1-gallon route.

which would better serve me.
And I would vote for the other kit, between the two, mainly because I use the 2-gallon buckets as primaries. You can do batches slightly larger than 1 gal and have to worry a little less about blow offs. 5 gallon recipes scale nicely to 1.25 gal (5/4) and should yield you almost a full 12-pack.

I do still need to pick up a couple 1 gal carboys for upcoming batches that I want to bulk age though.

Both kits should get you started with some minor additions though. Different strokes...

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-3), Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Lion Cut Kriek

Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #2452
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
And welcome to the forum!

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-3), Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Lion Cut Kriek

Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #2453
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Small batching must be getting more and more popular as my latest visit to Morebeer had a nice display of one gallon jugs, 3 gallon jugs and mini kegs! Good sign!!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #2454
lumpy5oh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

which would better serve me.

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet...7s-Best/Detail

or the brooklyn brewshop 1 gallon kit.

thanks guys.
Here is another one. Shipping is pretty high if you are in Canada.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #2455
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Brooklyn Brew Shop is pretty cool as they put you right into the all-grain arena. It's a really good starter kit. I would probably check in on the priming sugar as the recommended sugar is way too much, but otherwise a great gate-way kit. You will be addicted to homebrew after using their kits.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #2456
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
Brooklyn Brew Shop is pretty cool as they put you right into the all-grain arena. It's a really good starter kit. I would probably check in on the priming sugar as the recommended sugar is way too much, but otherwise a great gate-way kit. You will be addicted to homebrew after using their kits.
Thunder Chicken - a few questions on the Everyday IPA. Did you pretty much stick to the BBS script, such as fermenting two weeks? If so, what was your FG?

I did a fermentation two weeks, the first few day in my dining room where ambient temp hit near 72, then the remainder in the basement where it is more mid-60s. Now I have had it sitting on my porch (in Minnesota) for a Cold Crash since Sunday - temps mostly in the 20s, but may have been high 30s to 40 for a bit the last two afternoons.

I will probably bring it in in the morning to settle on a shelf before attempting bottling. However, I am bit concerned that the color a bit darker than I expected - more like a "black tea" than iced-tea. Just wondering.

Also, your comment about bottling sugar: did you use honey like the recipe suggests, and if so, how much? Any particular suggestions?

My first BBS batch was a Chocolate Maple Porter - following the BBS recipe book instructions using 3 tablespoons maple syrup seemed to over carbonate many of the bottles resulting in more beer on my ceiling than inside my glass.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #2457
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do all you 1-gallon brewers use pretty much the same method for bottling? bottling bucket with spigot? Do you use a different vessel rather than the typical 5-6gallon bottling buckets that are out there?

also, for all-grain brewers..any problems with holding mash temps for a long enough period of time?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #2458
TCGoose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I usually rack to my brew pot, mix with priming sugar, then siphon into bottles. Spigot would be easier and would work as well.

I put my "mash tun" (also the brew pot) into a warm oven (150F ish) to keep the temps for an hours. Works very well.
Drinking: Kumquat Witbier, Odors in My Nose IPA, Imperial Stout (4 variants)

Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #2459
gavcoop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I recently bottled my first one gallon batch and just brewed the Brooklyn Brewshop Everyday IPA.
One gallon brewing is damned addictive.
People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #2460
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavcoop View Post
I recently bottled my first one gallon batch and just brewed the Brooklyn Brewshop Everyday IPA.
One gallon brewing is damned addictive.
Brewing something to drink.
Drinking something you brewed.
Repeat.