Ringwood (1187) fermenting FOREVER!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeeDlzdos

Reaction score
So I'm doing an american styled pale ale, dry hopped. I pitched the Ringwood smack pack on 1/21 into a 1.050 wort and by 1/28 the S.G. was 1.018. Racked to secondary and dry hopped. Today (2/29) it is still bubbling, which is like 40 days out. Little tiny bubbles that just constantly rise out of the wort and bubble the airlock really really slowly. The hops have been in there forever as, but I'm past the point of caring about that. Wort tastes just fine, no infection flavors, sourness, etc.. and the S.G. is 1.010.

Sooo, what's getting fermented? I fear bottling it and just wasting my time making gushers.

hmmmm:confused:

Why not bottle? It is really low on gravity, so I don't think you face gushers here. I'm curious though as you are.

It if tastes fine, and the S.G. reading has been steady for 3+ days, it's safe to bottle/keg. 40 days in the fermenter should be plenty for a modest-gravity ale like that.

Sometimes beers will continue to off-gas for quite some time. It doesn't mean a fermentation is taking place. Most likely it's simply continuing to bubble while some CO2 comes out of solution.

I assumed it was just CO2 coming out of solution, but I've never seen it like that before in all my batches and I'd heard that Ringwood could be a finicky yeast. I think I'll bottle it and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back